From office work to class 1, the wait is KILLING ME

stu675:

Neetsneets:
Hi
My small company (a farm) actually has a fleet of artics but I’m scared that if I approach them about my switch from accounts to lorry driving, they will laugh me out of the room and then probably sack me :unamused: .

I’d like to believe, that if you told the right person in the company all the steps you had already taken to become an Artic driver, they would not laugh and they would help

^This…definitely

Do you want to leave the company or just the office? When you say you think they would probably sack you, I think you were joking and it was an expression of your fear of anyone knowing of your plans, but in case that is a real fear, they can’t sack you easily unless you have worked there for under 2 years. Even then, they have to be careful how they do it.

If you would stay with the company if they could offer you a different role, I would think you are in an extremely enviable position already working for a company with a fleet.

Just to give you my perspective as an employer, I tend to think everyone is happy in their role unless they say. Employees seem to think I’m psychic but I have no idea their circumstances have changed/that they want more hours/fewer hours/different role unless they tell me, or they have complained to someone else and it gets back to me, and when they do/it does, I can usually meet their requests. It very often happens that someone will come to me asking to take on someone else’s hours after they have left, about 2 minutes after I have posted a job advert that I have spent hours crafting. If one of my front of house staff told me they wanted to work in the kitchen I would bite their hand off and get them trained up ASAP! Recruitment is costly and risky. I would think most employers would look to keep members of the team in the company if they could. I bet they would rather recruit a new office bod to train up to replace you than a new HGV driver.

I know what you mean when you fear people will laugh you out of the room. This is a complete change for me too. I still have not told some close friends of my decision because I need to be emotionally strong enough to manage any negative responses. I am emerging into that place now, partly because the people who I have told have been positive and supportive.

So be brave, value yourself and what you can offer, whether you choose to stay or go. Good luck.

Ps the beginning of March really isn’t that far away, it will fly by