Am I being unrealistic - Class 1 at 18

I am an employer in a different sector but thought I’d offer my perspective as am employer and hope it helps.
When candidates are young/don’t have experience, I look at their potential. I see if they can demonstrate the values I am looking for and if they are a good match for the business.

I agree that going to visit a local haulier or two is a good start. Have you identified any firms you would like to work for and why?
I know putting yourself forward is daunting but that’s what you need to do, you need to stand out. You need to make the fact that you are relatively young not matter.
I can’t tell you how many applications I’ve had from people who say “I’m punctual, hardworking and honest”. That’s my and any employer’s absolute minimum expectations of an employee. In other words it doesn’t make you stand out and it doesn’t tell an employer what is special about you.

So, be brave and ask for a meeting with the transport manager or one of the transport team (find out their name first if you can). People are busy but if you ask nicely and genuinely for help, most people will be willing to provide it. It really is true that if you don’t ask, you don’t get, and there is no harm in asking.

Let’s just say that your age is a barrier and you get told to come back when you are 25. If you do other driving work in the meantime, or other industry related work, it will demonstrate commitment and determination and will help you into the job that you really want.

A lot has been said on this forum about having the right attitude. Do you believe that you are being unrealistic at 18? Yes, you might be unusually young, but if you believe in yourself, stand out from the crowd, do your research, match yourself to the right company and have maturity beyond your years, I can’t see why you wouldn’t be successful.
Good luck.