Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Star down under.:

Spardo:
Thanks Gingerfold, I was almost sure there was a connection there. Also your mention of Crossley, another Australian connection that I mentioned in the Heavy Haulage thread the other day. When I worked in the Queensland back country I used to travel to work on a Crossley railmotor, a Crossley coach body re-mounted on railway running gear. Exactly the same as a bus but the driver had no steering wheel. I have never managed to find a photo though, even on an Australian railway forum.

Where abouts were you working? I’ll try to track down the gen on it, if not a photo. Do you recall the fleet number, RM?? ?

Wow, now you’re asking, over 60 years ago now. :blush:
I worked for the MRD near Sarina, south of Mackay, so it wasn’t there because I was given a caravan to live in, so it might have been near Ayr, south of Townsville. Again, accommodation included, I lived with 4 other blokes in a very rural old house while cane cutting, the most likely candidate. I also had a job working in a sugar mill but can’t remember exactly where. I was given a high sided Bedford tipper to run within the site disposing of ‘gas’. This is a fine dust, a by product from the factory, and I just ran half a mile to tip it in a massive field where it burned slowly all the time.

Take your pick, somewhere between Mackay and Townsville. :unamused: Years later I was really surprised that no-one on an Australian rail forum could ID the machine.