From bus to truck Class 2 training update

Just thought I’d post about my progress.

So, I am almost 50 and currently drive a bus in the Cheshire area and went and passed my class 2 theory at the end of last year.

Yesterday, i drove a truck for the first time in Stockport (with all its roundabouts!) and then took my reverse test and passed which you now have to do before continuing.

Bottom line is tho, I wasn’t as good as I thought I would be. Of course I can drive a truck no problem but it doesn’t behave like a bus at all, it was much slower (well this 58 plate was anyway!) especially off the roundabouts.

I got told off several times for going too fast and breaking too late which I put down to trying to keep to time as a bus driver and realised that I have some bad habits. The loads a truck carries is entirely different to a bus, people are the ultimate cargo, but on the other hand don’t behave the same way as a load in a truck which a hadn’t taken account for.

Normally, I’m fine driving and have no problems but I let nerves get the better of me it seems.

At the beginning of Feb I will be continuing my training, 2-3 days with the test on the last day. I will post an update then.

Hopefully next time I can relax a bit more. :unamused:

BusManSi

What are you doing training in a 14 year old lorry? ie. 58 plate.

You should have booked with the forum sponsor, PSTT

Bus drivers shouldn’t need much extra training to pass LGV Category C or what used to be called HGV Class 2.

You are used to using mirrors and taking enough room for a 2.5 metre wide vehicle, and also being aware of its length and tail swing.

However, with lorries you do have to be more aware of low bridges if you are coming from driving set routes…as set bus routes won’t have bridges lower than the bus.

carlston49:
What are you doing training in a 14 year old lorry? ie. 58 plate.

I’m an advocate for new kit, but there’s nothing wrong with older trucks providing they are clean and well maintained.

Instructor abilities, training facilities (i.e. on-site test centres) and efficient support/admin staff are equally as important in the recipe.

Good luck, OP. :smiley:

I thought a 58 plate was 2018. That’s 4 years old.

Note: Scrub that. Just realised 58 not 68.

BishBashBosh:
…there’s nothing wrong with older trucks…

The OP has been driving a 14 year old lorry that is much slower than his old bus. That’s the problem, and could lead to a fail as pulling onto a roundabout and impeding the progress of a car that comes wizzing round the roundabout is a major fault which leads to an automatic fail on the driving test.

Although not as fast as a car, a lorry that is used for a driving test does need to have reasonable acceleration so as not to impede the progress of other vehicles.

carlston49:

BishBashBosh:
…there’s nothing wrong with older trucks…

The OP has been driving a 14 year old lorry that is much slower than his old bus. That’s the problem, and could lead to a fail as pulling onto a roundabout and impeding the progress of a car that comes wizzing round the roundabout is a major fault which leads to an automatic fail on the driving test.

Although not as fast as a car, a lorry that is used for a driving test does need to have reasonable acceleration so as not to impede the progress of other vehicles.

■■■■■■■■. Just don’t pull out if you can’t do so without impeding other road users.

I’m learning in a 57 plate Scania.

Thanks for all your replies. All valid. Roundabouts are definitely one to watch and I have been trying to make improvements with my bus driving which is difficult on your own. I’m ok with mirrors/tail swing etc, it’s just getting used to driving slower which makes me sound reckless but trust me I’m not.

I have two days booked for next week with test on second day which they are saying is all I need after they assessed me.

Wish me luck!!