What do you have for lunch?

Might seem like an odd question but for context I’ve spent the last 7 years working in the restaurant industry and not had to consider making food for lunch/breaks.
Next week I start my first job as a HGV driver so I just want to get a feel for what goes in your bags when you head out to work?

6 hrs and no reply yet?
Obviously we are all svelte individuals who fast during the day.
I normally carry a bit of coleslaw or veg salad, tin of tuna or similar with a fresh baguette.
Sometimes I’ll warm up a soup with bread.
I find any more makes me dozy…[emoji3]

I have some prepped fruit to snack on plus a salad and pitta with hummus and boiled potato.

I’m neither vegan, vegetarian or other but try to keep my waist size constant.

The current job doesn’t take many calories off me each day.

12 hour shift so 2 meals.

Pittas or flatbreads for lunch…usual fillings tuna, ham, cheese, chicken tikka with some cherry tomatoes to snack on. Yoghurt with granola and fresh fruit.

Dinner usually cook wholewheat noodles and vegetable stir fry then microwave it in canteen, with teriyaki sauce. Sometimes rice and veg.

Or I have one of those food flasks…Fill it with either Chunky soup, or I stir fry some veg, onions, peppers chilli and mix in a tin of mixed beans with spicy sauce.

I like to have at least 1 hot meal during the day.

Fruit to snack on and unsalted nuts (cashews, brazils, walnuts)

Bottle of water.

Pretty healthy but im still fat :slight_smile:

Swordsy:
Pretty healthy but im still fat

Ever heard of Mma Precious Ramotswe?
Whatever, you are a “traditionally built lorry driver”, and are carrying on our collective cultural inheritance. :smiley:

3x beef & horseradish cobs.
If I’m in the yard when the canteen opens…hard to resist.
If not,she’ll wrap me up a sausage and hash brown cob,to take out. :wink:

Be an idea invest in an electric lunch box.
About £25 on Amazon
Plugs into cigarette lighter socket or what ever you call it these days
It basically warms up ready cooked pre cooked meals.

I have sausge n beans in mine now.
Done leftover pasta stew etc.
Ready meals from Tesco etc.
Just plug in and leave for. Few hours or more depending on what’s in it and you have a warm.meal when you stop.

Have a fridge and microwave, so anything you can nuke.
Tramping though…

I usually have a sandwich, crisps and sausage roll a cofeee and a bottle of water from any MSA usually from WHS.
So costs like £64.

:grimacing:

Seriously though, when I worked for Tesco, the £3 meal deal was pretty good. For Argos I work nights so I tend to not eat at work.

edd1974:
About £25 on Amazon

Just plug in and leave for. Few hours or more depending on what’s in it and you have a warm.meal when you stop.

So to get this right… you’ve soent £25 on this thing that requires carrying to and from your truck, then some pence on chines takeaway trays, then you have to wait “a few hours”

And the best you can do is decant beans with sausages from a tin into another form of tin?

toonsy:

edd1974:
About £25 on Amazon

Yes no shame in having beans and sausage.
Usually make.pasta stew macaroni cheese etc to take with me
But cupboard at home is a bit empty as it’s a Friday.

So to get this right… you’ve soent £25 on this thing that requires carrying to and from your truck, then some pence on chines takeaway trays, then you have to wait “a few hours”

And the best you can do is decant beans with sausages from a tin into another form of tin?

1 x Slimfast shake
1 x small bowl muesli.

toonsy:

edd1974:
About £25 on Amazon

Yes I literally have no idea how they carry such an enormous heavy item to the truck.

Downloaded an app called Kitchen Stories, loads of recipes for free by various members. Most of them simple to cook but taste and look a little bit “posh”! Some good stews, salads, rice dishes, etc etc etc. Easy to cook and prepare for the week, and a micro wave of course!

switchlogic:

toonsy:

edd1974:
About £25 on Amazon

Yes I literally have no idea how they carry such an enormous heavy item to the truck.

I’ve got no issue with that part but I’d sure as he’ll make sure I’d utilise further than a tin of beans with sausages :laughing:

Speaking of resource, I used to use a gas camping stove which suited me but I normally ate in pub restaurants anyway so rarely used it.

On the coaches a crew mate of mine used tomake soup in the kettle in the hotel room. And by that I mean he’d dump the unopened tin into the water and turn it on :open_mouth: never believed him until I watched him do it with my own eyes.

I normally take cheese sandwiches, have some salad prepared in a bag so it doesn’t make the bread soggy, bottle of water and a couple cans of pop plus a packet of crisps, when I don’t take sandwiches, I have a lunch box that warms the food, I’ve only ever used it to warm up a pasty or pre cooked sausages, egg, bacon beans. Although yesterday I couldn’t be arsed and had a burger at a services,

Pasties, cakes, crisps, ready meals, beans and sausages…then sit and fester for a shift driving a truck? Some of you must have an early death wish. Back in the day when a shift meant some hard physical graft maybe, but these days?
Those heated lunch boxes are excellent, and I recommend them to anybody who does not drive a starship enterprise with all the gear in it.
Just put a little water in the bottom of the tray, and then put whatever needs warming up in there too (I use tinfoil to make a little tray), plug it in the 12v socket, and in a few mins it is warm. Wondering if some of the guys saying it takes ages, are trying to cook something in them?
Lunch yesterday was chicken, passata, and a bit of onion and sweet pepper from a food flask. Lovely and warm, and a brioche bun on the side. Homemade shortbread, (Jamie Oliver recipe) and a protein bar with a slug of milk from the ice cold food flask afterwards. Only downside, is my work bag weighs a frickin ton. :slight_smile:

Whatever my girlfriend puts in my box of course :smiley:

Nothing. I dont spend enough time at work anymore to require lunch

I generally take sandwiches comprising of whatever Morrisons have on Yellow Label. This week it will be Orkney Cheddar Cheese reduced from £4.50 to £1.05. I’ll get at least a week’s worth of packed lunches out of that. Also a Peperami sausage (5 for £1.75) and maybe a BabyBel cheese and a few squares of Milka chocolate. I normally try to feed myself during the day for less than £1 as my absolute priority when working is to save as much money as possible for when I go off boating.