Panorama tonight

Harry Monk:

Conor:
Delivering Christmas: What’s in Store?

Giving an absolutely brilliant programme part of which covering about the situation of road haulage in this programme. They’ve got a British driver showing all the problems, going on about the wage compression etc and he’s just shown them the state of the showers in a motorway services. They’ve also just had a Romanian driver on the continent doing a run to Milan the presenter went for a ride-along with who has said why none of them will come here, said that the conditions for lorry drivers in the UK were the worst in Europe and demonstrating the better working conditions and better service areas.

It’s not just the conditions, in general on the mainland you are treated in a totally different way, as a skilled and professional person who is essential to the business you are loading from or delivering to. Turn up anywhere in the UK and you are about as welcome as a ginger stepchild.

At least, that’s how it was when I did it, it may have changed with the shift from western to eastern European drivers doing western European work, certainly law enforcement has become stricter from talking to the people I know who still run over the water.

Can’t say i’ve seen any stricter enforcement in Europe but it might depend on the registration plate…