Was I seeing things?

Remember seeing some daf’s the other day which had a normal mirror on drivers side and looked like camera screen on the nearside. They were new trucks so assume it’s some retrofit near side camera system for the mirror to combine with the near side camera requirements for London. Another thread made me think about it was a few days ago.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

That’s interesting - as the “normal” mirror on driver’s side - would get around this problem where a driver who’s long sighted and must legally wear corrective vision glasses TO drive - cannot focus on a driver’s side “virtual mirror”, which is basically a portrait-aligned tablet device with a camera feed…

Daft thing is about these “Virtual Mirrors” - with the sticky-out back-looking stem - it is still just as easy to get one’s stem knocked off by passing another truck at say, Colt’s Hill, or some other main road narrow passing place…

Why bother with “Virtual Mirrors” at all?

If the device goes down - you would have to stop immediately, as you’re no longer able to drive the truck safely with a blacked out screen eh?

simcor:
Remember seeing some daf’s the other day which had a normal mirror on drivers side and looked like camera screen on the nearside. They were new trucks so assume it’s some retrofit near side camera system for the mirror to combine with the near side camera requirements for London. Another thread made me think about it was a few days ago.

we have them at our place, normal mirrors but camera on near side/forward facing.

Screen switches on when you indicate left or hazard lights, along with some one shouting this vehicle is turning left.

Pain reversing as screen goes to blue

Should add not the new generation daf’s just new old stock daf’s. But I am sure they had the Merc style screen on the nearside pillar as that’s what made me take a second glance. Mainly as I could see 2 images main mirror and wide angle mirror.

andy187:

simcor:

we have them at our place, normal mirrors but camera on near side/forward facing.

Screen switches on when you indicate left or hazard lights, along with some one shouting this vehicle is turning left.

Pain reversing as screen goes to blue

Most trucks now have a side camera system fitted with screen. Some can be positioned on the passenger side of the truck, but these deffo looked like the Merc type camera on nearside and normal mirror on offside.

These were on permanently as trucks were in one lane and not indicating either.

Our monitors are positioned by the nearside pillar, and can show nearside view by default without indicating. Have a remote control to switch views.

idrive:
Our monitors are positioned by the nearside pillar, and can show nearside view by default without indicating. Have a remote control to switch views.

As I explained these looked like the Merc system attached to the a pillar with 2 views main mirror and wide angle mirror one below the other. Not a standalone monitor of any description placed wherever the company thinks it the best place.

simcor:
Remember seeing some daf’s the other day which had a normal mirror on drivers side and looked like camera screen on the nearside. They were new trucks so assume it’s some retrofit near side camera system for the mirror to combine with the near side camera requirements for London.

Yes its for London, just Saddiq Khan making us even more responsible for the deliberate actions of cyclists. Some of ours have been fitted with them, where my lad is at they fitted all their fleet.