Gritter driver shortage?

Andrejs:

Bin Man:

Conor:

fuse:
no shortage more rubbish being spouted

I could imagine it’s true. Council HGV driver wages are really really crap.

Councils don’t all pay the same wage and we are not on £20k.

And there are lots of benefits you haven’t mentioned -

Job and finish some days we only work 6 hours and we never work more than 7.5 (day shift Monday - Friday)

Brilliant company pension scheme

27 days holiday + bank holidays

CPC training paid for.

CPC cost only about 70 quid per years.27 day holiday can get anywhere.
I don t think who plenty people will happy work 7 hours per day and get 20K.It is good for 50+man without mortgages,house rent.

I was actually one of the very rare examples of actually being employed by the local County Council as a driver.
7.30 am start and finish at 5pm I couldn’t afford to take the basic money to finish at 4 pm.
Only 1/2 hour lunch unpaid.
For that I got £80 per week having dropped from £100 per week for 40 hours in my previous job.
3 weeks holiday instead of 4 and only Christmas Day and Boxing Day, as opposed to 2 weeks shut down which didn’t affect holiday entitlement in my previous job.
As for gritting it was usually done by ‘road maintenance’ workers who were trained to class 2 in house and to date the job is still part of that of road maintenance operative not class 2 driver.I guess the money is as bad as ever even though it’s generally contracted out to the private sector not direct labour.