Panorama tonight

toonsy:
Yeah I’m watching it. Obviously it wont happen but I’d have liked them to ask Bidfood why they’re so uncooperative with inbound drivers who are delayed which they’ll just refuse point blank rather than fitting them in, or why they (and others) tie supply drivers up for hours on end taking unreasonable amounts of time to tip goods they’ve just said they’re desperate for…

I’d also have liked to see the guy who mentioned higher wages for drivers forcing prices up be asked why that same logic never applies to large executive bonuses.

With the Romanian guy, having worked abroad I fully agree with him and have said no end of times the industry and infrastructure here wouldn’t lace the boots of that on the continent and pay has has caught up sontheres not even that incentive anymore. Even less so with the enforcement of IR35.

But the cabotage relaxation is something that presents a real risk to continued improvement because there’s more EU trucks over here now once more, running on cheap fuel, with low overheads available to cover an unlimited amount of loads.

Obviously I know it can’t all be covered but I’m just posting my thoughts as they came about when covered by the programme

The irony taking advantage of the European long haul road transport sector to wipe out what remains of the domestic one.
Which propably explains why the rail freight sector are silent on the issue when they’d be expected to be lobbying the government to abandon the idea.