Car to Artic - the first?

simon1138:
WELL DONE!!!
I am looking at going the same route, how did you find the training? by that I mean did you find it easy/hard? Was there any other preparation?
Thanks
All the best, Simon

Thanks Simon

Yes, as I mention in another reply here, I had done a LOT of preparation! I also watched loads of You Tube videos on all sorts of lorry related things, checked this forum every day for help and info, as well as keeping up with the government changes as they went along. When I was driving I watched lorry drivers to see what they did. Having said that, take everything you see online with a pinch of salt, because you don’t want to go into your practical training with fixed ideas that might hinder what your instructor wants you to do.

I really enjoyed the practical training, and loved driving the artic! It might seem easy, but the first time you get out on the road, it’s a heck of a lot of info to take in. I was exhausted the first few days from all the concentration (and don’t worry if you have off days - just keep listening & learning, and it will come). The biggest thing is to listen to your instructor, and DO WHAT HE SAYS! He will be assessing you every minute, and he’ll adjust his instructions/comments/advice as you get better/make mistakes/get confident, etc. Don’t forget to ask questions if you don’t understand why you’re doing something.

Another top tip - go with an instructor you respect and get along with and whose style of instruction suits you - it will give you the best chance of success. It’s a lot of hours to be stuck in a cab otherwise!

Hope that helps, and good luck!