586000 men quit work

Carryfast:
On that note it’s more likely that those born after 1955 will be relying on what their parents left them from the better years than having a paid for house of their own.
With many of around my generation, including some relatives, facing retirement mostly reliant on state pension and in the rented sector.I count myself lucky in that regard.

I think we all make the mistake of looking at the people we know and presuming that is related for the majority My experience is completely different.

Of my 4 closest friends born between 60-65, ones mother died around 5 years ago having lived in a council flat, her father having left when she was a teenager. She was left a few 1000.

Second ones mother died 2 years ago when she was 60. 190k house split between 3, nice but their house is paid for and they have helped their daughter get a house. Father died 30 years previously.

Third, mother died late 90s, father several years earlier. House 150k ish split between 2. She would have felt a benefit.

Fourth, retiring at 60 next year, both parents alive and well. Very well paying job, doesn’t need inheritance.

My parents died when before I was 30. My inheritance was around 10k. My father had gone bankrupt and I had bought the famy home.

Third