First time on class 1

rik007:
Am 57 after a working life behind a computer screen I decided to get my Class1 this year. Got offered a job the day I passed the test. Reversing was a nightmare but you just have to get on and do it. After 6 months it’s slowly coming together. Everyone has been helpful, if you ask nicely without fault. Some days will go well others you’ll feel a right plonker. But I love the job, wish I’d done it my youth. But there you go old dogs can indeed learn new tricks. Stay humble, ask and learn from the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely easier getting help when you are young (& look it) as drivers are keen to help.
Once you are older the expectation is that you are experienced, therefore you will have to actively seek assistance.
You seem to have the right attitude for the job, hence your success so far.

I still reverse at the same slow speed I did when I started, except now it results in hitting the target first time (mostly).
I cringe at those who reverse fast, whilst requiring a shunt or two, & speed up after each failed attempt.
Even once you have mastered the skill you will still have the odd bad day where every reverse takes multiple attempts. It’s like pro footballers who can’t hit a barn door from 12 yards on the odd match day - everyone knows what they are capable of, but off days come to all occasionally.

I am pleased you are enjoying your new career Mr Craig after leaving the 007 franchise. :wink: