Driving mini buses

I know that you need D1 to drive a 16 seater minibus (as a paid employee)…not too sure if an HGV automatically gives you this entitlement ?..can anyone put me wise ?

Happy to be corrected, but I think it all depends on when you passed your car test; pre 1997 you would have grandfather rights. After that date you’d have to take a test.

BUT… to drive it for hire or reward you need the appropriate DCPC if you’re carrying passengers, and it’s a different animal for buses. There are certain exemptions for charities and the like, but the safe bet is that if you’re being paid for it you need the licence and the DCPC.

In a nutshell, if it ain’t on the back of your licence you ain’t got the entitlement.

You’re right,mate.Looking at my licence,D1 has a code 101 (not for hire or reward) after it.
Who wants to transport 16 screaming yoofs anyway :laughing:

On one of my DCPC courses, admittedly pre Covid so prob 2019, there were a couple of bus drivers from a local firm sitting the course.

toowise:
On one of my DCPC courses, admittedly pre Covid so prob 2019, there were a couple of bus drivers from a local firm sitting the course.

Some of them are sanctioned for both PSV and HGV. I don’t know if things have changed since the most recent shake-up when they made us do different courses every time, but when my ex-missus did her initial DCPC training for PSV ten years ago, she got put on a course for lorry loading etc just to tick a box.

She did say a few months afterwards that some of her passengers could benefit from being sheeted and strapped down!

Baggie:
I know that you need D1 to drive a 16 seater minibus (as a paid employee)…not too sure if an HGV automatically gives you this entitlement ?..can anyone put me wise ?

Simple answer = no

C & D categories are separate

ROG:

Baggie:

Simple answer = no

C & D categories are separate

That reminds me; you CAN, I believe drive any bus on an HGV licence if you’re a mechanic taking it for a road test, or if you’re delivering one. But there must not be any passengers on it.

Sidevalve:

toowise:

Some of them are sanctioned for both PSV and HGV. I don’t know if things have changed since the most recent shake-up when they made us do different courses every time, but when my ex-missus did her initial DCPC training for PSV ten years ago, she got put on a course for lorry loading etc just to tick a box.

She did say a few months afterwards that some of her passengers could benefit from being sheeted and strapped down!

Your ex most likely had 7.5 ton as well on her pre 1994 or whenever it changed licence. You cant drive passengers for payment nowadays without having done the relevant test for the vehicle. I believe that if you have at least C you could drive your kids football team in a 16 seater but cant accept any sort of reward for doing it.

alamcculloch:
Your ex most likely had 7.5 ton as well on her pre 1994 or whenever it changed licence. You cant drive passengers for payment nowadays without having done the relevant test for the vehicle. I believe that if you have at least C you could drive your kids football team in a 16 seater but cant accept any sort of reward for doing it.

No, she didn’t; missed out on it by a few months as she passed her car test in 1998.