Shift after interview

Hi Guys, looking for help regarding split shift.

Had a job interview that started at 12.00 which lead to having driving assesment which last 50 mins which took me to 14.50. Tacho card will read 2 hours other work and 50 mins driving.

1st shift back to work tonight after 4 days off for existing employer and due to start at 8.00pm.

Will this still be ok to do an 11 hour shift with no more than 7 hours driving ?

Thanks guys, not being in the industry long so would be good for any advice.

Cheers

BlueG:
Hi Guys, looking for help regarding split shift.

Had a job interview that started at 12.00 which lead to having driving assesment which last 50 mins which took me to 14.50. Tacho card will read 2 hours other work and 50 mins driving.

1st shift back to work tonight after 4 days off for existing employer and due to start at 8.00pm.

Will this still be ok to do an 11 hour shift with no more than 7 hours driving ?

Thanks guys, not being in the industry long so would be good for any advice.

Cheers

Card starts at 12hr00.
No daily rest, so you must be off the card by 03hr00 at the latest.
(You must have at least 9hrs uninterrupted daily rest, before 24hrs from shift start.
To get that in you need 9hrs from 03hrs00 to 12hrs00)

As said no, your thinking about split daily rest. Your card went in or manual entry from midday so that is what time you have started work.

Hope you told your employer you’d be going for an interview and driving assessment because they probably won’t be very happy when you tell them you can’t do this job and that job etc as you now don’t have the duty time.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Think you have only one viable choice here, you could go sick (but the truth will out when your card is downloaded) so that isn’t a choice really.

or ring up and explain what the score is, tell them you don’t want to let them down but obviously the normal shift you cover isn’t doable, up to them if they stand you down for the night, bring you in earlier or later and/or swap runs, or if you haven’t been there long they could if they get arsey enough let you go…the last i hope doesn’t happen but be prepared it could.
ring in asap, so they have more chance of covering the work, it will look better for you.

Juddian:
Think you have only one viable choice here, you could go sick (but the truth will out when your card is downloaded) so that isn’t a choice really.

or ring up and explain what the score is, tell them you don’t want to let them down but obviously the normal shift you cover isn’t doable, up to them if they stand you down for the night, bring you in earlier or later and/or swap runs, or if you haven’t been there long they could if they get arsey enough let you go…the last i hope doesn’t happen but be prepared it could.
ring in asap, so they have more chance of covering the work, it will look better for you.

They couldn’t let someone go for going for an interview for another job it would be illegal. An employer cannot stop you going for a job interview. However they could get arsey and take it a disciplinary. But that’s alone wouldn’t be grounds for dismissal unless there’s are previous disciplinary warnings.

Thanks Lads for the sound advice, I really don’t want to let them down so I will tell that I will start at 23.51 and that will allow me to have the 9 hours rest. No real reason why the run can’t be put back 3 hours 50 mins as it’s to a empty store.

Thanks again for the clarification.

simcor:

Juddian:

They couldn’t let someone go for going for an interview for another job it would be illegal. An employer cannot stop you going for a job interview. However they could get arsey and take it a disciplinary. But that’s alone wouldn’t be grounds for dismissal unless there’s are previous disciplinary warnings.

OP’s a new driver so i assumed only been there a few weeks or months, it wouldn’t be letting him go for attending an interview it would be for failing to cover a planned shift, however it would appear the shift can be put back till midnight so hopefully not too many feathers are ruffled.
Maybe the company will appreciate our OP and enquire if they can match what he’s looking for elsewhere.

Juddian:

simcor:

Juddian:

OP’s a new driver so i assumed only been there a few weeks or months, it wouldn’t be letting him go for attending an interview it would be for failing to cover a planned shift, however it would appear the shift can be put back till midnight so hopefully not too many feathers are ruffled.
Maybe the company will appreciate our OP and enquire if they can match what he’s looking for elsewhere.

Good point I guess. But yes could depend on how long he’s been there.

But like you say maybe just maybe they might ask what they can do to keep him as well.

When they know you’ve been for an interview and assessment, they’ll probably offer you a pay rise to keep you :laughing:

This is why I like 3 days , I can book interviews / hospital / doctors etc on my 2 days off , tramping 5 days was a nightmare

:smiley: thanks sorted cheers