Driver CPC, new guidance

Zac_A:
There’s more at stake than the money issue I think:

How does a law get repealled? My understanding is that some MP has to get stuck in, make a solid argument, follow through on it and really really want to make it happen
I don’t like quoting wikipedia but here’s what they have on the topic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeal

Who’s going to do that? What possible reason would they have to do that? Just to keep a small minority of truckers slightly less-unhappy than they usually are? What’s in it for them?

Even if some MP (for some inexplicable reason) should motivate their self to do all that, how easily could it blow up in their face? They’d be accused of not caring about road safety, and the next time there was a notable death on the road involving an HGV, who’d get the blame for it?

As well as the driver getting the blame (and who almost automatically gets arrested at the scene of any incident), there would be accusing fingers pointing at that MP and it would be the end of their career. All it would take is a 0.01% increase in road fatalities involving HGVs and it would be seen as the result of scrapping DCPC

Whether or not there has been an improvement in road safety specifically associated with the introduction of DCPC, I do not know: I have some experience with statistics and I have a rightly cautious approach to them (as we all should have)

However… two minutes of searching on the web and I found an official document (link below)that shows a massive and rapid reduction in road fatalities (down by 30%) since 2008: What would MPs & Road Safety Campaigners make of this?

Oh, and there’s that link I posted, which leads to a 43 page government document, which has already pronounced on the issue of should-it-stay-or-should-it-go-now.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … t-2018.pdf

i bet you do driver training ? the death counts are a result of much safer cars these days, however watch these figures go up over the years thanks to smart motorways, lets see the figures of trucks losing loads, hitting bridges, trucks falling over etc all the normal everyday stuff that is always causeing motorway madness these days ? i bet those figures are through the roof, and climbing as now there will be even more inexperienced drivers let loose on the roads,