Sorry newbies, more bad news for those wanting to be drivers

(At Rog’s suggestion, I’ve reposted this where it is more appropriate)

Hmmm… nothing like a bit of direct opposition to the government’s plans for encouraging more HGV driving tests, as if the backlog wasn’t bad enough, DVSA Examiners are voting for strike action

Union Members vote overwhelmingly for strike action at DVSA

92% of PCS members who voted said they were prepared to go on strike over the new 8-test schedules.

PCS members working for DVSA as driving examiners and their line managers have voted to support strike action and action short of strike in defence of their working terms and conditions.

92% of members voted for strike action on an 80% turnout with 95% voting yes to action short of a strike.

DVSA management have notified staff that they intend to implement the new 8-test schedule from 11 October 2021 despite our opposition. We have concerns around both the well-being of members and the health and safety implications to the public of introducing an additional test to an already time pressured schedule.

pcs.org.uk/news-events/news … ction-dvsa

As a trainee, strike action doesn’t bother me. Yes it’s annoying and delays matters. But if the lads/chaps whatever at DVSA etc have grievences then so be it.

What’s really boiling my ■■■■ right now is the knee jerk, moronic decision to allow temporary visas to EE drivers.

Am not a truck driver (yet), so I might be talking bolloks but I dont know of any other industry where the government delibrately interferes with the supply and demand and free market economic development of the HGV industry and drivers.

Every little bump and yeah don’t worry, Army will drive and the Romanians too. (Just when British drivers where starting to get the wages they deserve)

I bet youl get thousands of drivers training up if you started offering £20+ an hour, and £70ish night out money.

HGV leaders of industry have only themselves to blame for this lack of preparation/training etc. But it’s the drivers who will be the first to get shafted.

Covid is not an excuse for ■■■■. I got my forklift license in the pandemic. Where there’s a will, theres a way.

Am seriously doubting myself now whether I should or should not. Luckily for me, class 2 and Cpc etc is all paid for.

I just hope no EE bothers to come over, and the HGV leaders are forced to smell the coffee and get real.

A lot of news regarding the shortage at the moment. One of the opinions I heard on the radio was that there would end up being less tests carried out because folks are spending two weeks training, taking up the artics available for two weeks.

It kind of seems that the government thinks it can change the test regime and everyone involved from trainers to testers to candidates is not only expected to jump, but ask how high. It gives you an idea of the sheer arrogance involved with a healthy dose of ignorance / stupidity thrown in.

Noremac:
A lot of news regarding the shortage at the moment. One of the opinions I heard on the radio was that there would end up being less tests carried out because folks are spending two weeks training, taking up the artics available for two weeks.

No. Trainees will most likely spend a week in the rigid getting used to that size, but without a test, and as long as they’re competent they’ll then do a week in the artic. No training provider is going to let someone jump into the big rig without proving their self first, that would be insane, your average car driver can’t even safely join a major carriageway from the slip road (my pet hate, along with tailgating)

Zac_A:
No training provider is going to let someone jump into the big rig without proving their self first, that would be insane, your average car driver can’t even safely join a major carriageway from the slip road (my pet hate, along with tailgating)

How come we were capable of doing car to artic or nothing to artic in the 80s but not now :question:

ROG:

Zac_A:
No training provider is going to let someone jump into the big rig without proving their self first, that would be insane, your average car driver can’t even safely join a major carriageway from the slip road (my pet hate, along with tailgating)

How come we were capable of doing car to artic or nothing to artic in the 80s but not now :question:

Rog, you’ve seen the car drivers of today[emoji1], plus the roads are a bit more crammed

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Don’t assume we’re all that dumb that we couldn’t do it. :wink: I’ll drive with Rog any day, cold, and have him critique my driving. :wink:

TruckerGuy:
Don’t assume we’re all that dumb that we couldn’t do it. :wink: I’ll drive with Rog any day, cold, and have him critique my driving. :wink:

I used to do that for 18 years as an advanced driving observer for car and lorry :smiley:

The average car driver can’t even join the main carriageway from a slip road properly.
Plus when the truck is the driving school’s property, who in that company is going to take unnecessary chances? I wouldn’t.