Display screen equipment (DSE) requests an eye test

With the New Mercedes Actros truck interior-Steering wheel with modern screen dashboard and mirrors. Does this apply for drivers also?

Providing eye tests and any necessary spectacles for DSE work
There is no evidence to suggest that DSE work will cause permanent damage to
eyes or eyesight. Eye tests are provided to ensure users can comfortably see the
screen and work effectively without visual fatigue.
If a user or a potential user requests an eye test you are required to provide one. If
the test shows that the user needs glasses specifically for DSE work, you must pay
for a basic pair of frames and lenses. Eye tests are not an entitlement for the selfemployed.
Users are entitled to further tests if DSE work is considered to cause them visual
fatigue and at regular intervals after the first test.
The arrangements you make to provide eye and eyesight tests can vary. For
example, some employers let users arrange tests for themselves (and give the
employer the bill); others prefer to send all their staff to be tested by one optician.

The following may help you when setting up your arrangements:

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.PDF

You have a valid point as regards nature of the job and eye fatigue [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

As a desk jockey for many years, it always surprised me that my employer was obliged to pay for me to have an eye test, while people who drove for a living had no such right.
Some people who have to wear glasses for driving struggle with the screen ‘mirrors’ on the Actros…although I didn’t when I had a go in one.
Personally, I think the less you have driven with conventional mirrors, the quicker you take to the screen version.

GasGas:
As a desk jockey for many years, it always surprised me that my employer was obliged to pay for me to have an eye test, while people who drove for a living had no such right.
Some people who have to wear glasses for driving struggle with the screen ‘mirrors’ on the Actros…although I didn’t when I had a go in one.
Personally, I think the less you have driven with conventional mirrors, the quicker you take to the screen version.

I haven’t driven a new Actros yet.

I do wonder how I’ll deal with the new screens as age has brought on a degree of long sightedness [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

:wink: Yes with 4 screens to look at was wonder how employer was going to go about planning my breaks etc

1. Work routine and breaks
    The law says employers must plan work so there are breaks or changes of activity for employees who are display screen equipment (DSE) users.
    There is no legal guidance about how long and how often breaks should be for DSE work. It depends on the kind of work you are doing. Take short breaks often, rather than longer ones less often. For example 5 to 10 minutes every hour is better than 20 minutes every 2 hours. Ideally, users should be able to choose when to take breaks.
    In most jobs it is possible to stop DSE work to do other tasks, such as going to meetings or making phone calls. If there are no natural changes of activity in a job, employers should plan rest breaks.
    Breaks or changes of activity should allow users to get up from their workstations and move around, or at least stretch and change posture.

Wonder if they would install this kind :bulb: Break-monitoring software :question: can remind users to take regular breaks. But employers are still responsible for making sure work activities are properly planned and that users take suitable breaks.

The big difference between screen work in an office & driving, with regards to eyesight, is focus distance.
In the office you have a static focus for far too long which is detrimental to eyesight.
On the road you are required to have good eyesight but the job is not detrimental to your eye health.
Even with the myriad of truck screens you will get frequent focus variation.

I found I had to change my intermediate prescription as the mirror screens are that much closer