"Greasy Spoon Cafes" The public face of Truckers

einstein:
HGV drivers 'offered £54 an hour' by desperate agents trying to poach them at truck stops - Leeds Live

Seemingly too good a rate is being offered? Same type of article, different rag.

Has anybody heard of anyone being approached whilst on their break being offered astronomical rates?

Does anyone know Barney?

When I was on the coaches I was coming back through Calais to catch the ferry. All my passengers were getting passports checked etc so I was just waiting for them. I was doing scheduled intercity euro stuff at the time so think National Express but London to wherever and back again…

Anyway I was stood there waiting and an undercover agent who just looked like an undercover agent - a bit like inspector gadget - comes over to me, offers me his hand so instinctively I shook it and felt him pop a business card in it and he tapped his nose and off he went. Not a word was spoken. So i looked at this card and was in case I suspected people smuggling so I could report it.

To this day I’ve no idea why the secret squirrel act but it was weird and is probably the closest I’ve been to being poached by anyone :laughing: