LGV Driving... Job For Life?

switchlogic:
That’s not to say they shouldn’t do it. But just be aware. I drove that Volvo Dual Clutch 540 to Italy 3 years ago for a magazine review and it entirely changed my opinion on this subject. It was a demo direct from Volvo so it came fully loaded with tech, most trucks we drive dont come close. That effectively drove itself to Italy, all I did was steer most of time. It went over the Alps and I touched the pedals once or twice I think. Up and down. The technology is getting close. An 18 year old is nearly 50 years from retirement. Think how far we’ve come in 50 and you’ll realise anything is possible.

I absolutely agree that the tech has come on vast amounts in recent years. I’ve driven vehicles equipped with terrain mapping and concede that all they require is minimal input, namely steering. But, and it’s a big but, would you trust it to drive unaided through a busy town centre or a busy, and ever changing motorway scenario? I wouldn’t, and I don’t believe for a second that without total autonomous vehicle traffic that it’s do able