LGV Driving... Job For Life?

You get out of lorry driving what you put into it and much depends if you’re a glass half full cheerful soul or a glass half empty personality who carries around a grey cloud of doom above his head like a permabrolly.

For myself 4 decades on artics and still at it, still enjoy my job where i’m well paid and looked after and seemingly respected (to my ugly mug anyway) and in return i do my best taking a pride in my work which gives me job satisfaction as well as making my job as secure as anyones.
There’s many bad aspects about the job, so what you do if you have any sense (and potential operators who do the sort of work you like in your area) is find a type of work and operation where the downsides don’t affect you.
I don’t do nights out, i don’t rush around like my arse is one fire, i don’t have to deliver to hellish RDC’s or do multi drops or pallet type work because i don’t want any of those things, i work an average of 43 hours a week, i deliver to regular places using routes of my own choosing which no one has ever questioned and know most of the storemen etc by name as they do me.

Yes you can do this job all of your life if you want to, most unlikely you’ll work at one place till you hang up your keys for the last time, but the same goes for most of us.
Its a broad industry and the secret in my opinion to a happy working life on the lorries is to find the industry sector that you enjoy working in, if it pays well that a win win all round.

Harry and i disagree on automation of lorries, they can’t get the bloody cameras to work for more than a few days or weeks at best let alone the mutitude of sensors 'puters solenoids and drives that will all have to work in conjuction with each other perfectly and fautlessly to get an autonomous vehicle to negotiate Britains increasingly ruined increasingly third world road network reliably and safely.