Tanker Fire Between Helston & Flamouth

Driver looks like he is safe, but could be a big bang shortly

EDIT: Update from Cornwall Live Live updates as fuel tanker fire sparks closure of A394 in Cornwall - Cornwall Live

I can’t believe why the police allowed any traffic to pass it but it’s partially blocked going in the other direction.

Tarmaceater:
I can’t believe why the police allowed any traffic to pass it but it’s partially blocked going in the other direction.

I can.
We have a false perspective of professionals in these situations.

Never be afraid to question things you think are wrong - whoever it is making the decision.

Indeed, i saw a video of a tanker crash and immediate fire that resulted in an explosion in Italy on a motorway, the explosion firestorm must have covered 200 yards or more in all directions, several deaths and large numbers of injuries.

Like many others having seen what happened at incidents like Grenfell Tower (not to mention the farce of the last 18 months) i’ll reserve judgement on what passes as advise from those claiming to be experts or promoted or placed in positions of authority, common sense applies always.

Its all over, well done to the fire service, no drama.

cornwalllive.com/news/cornw … ne-5729354

i like the optimism of the driver with the fire extinguisher at the ready.

When I took my week long residential course with Friendberry training near Taunton for ADR tanker and packages, the instructor said as an ADR driver, you are expected to contain corrosive acid spillage entering drains, put out fires and stay on scene but I’m no fire man , when it’s human instinct to flee from danger and imminent death or severe injury .
If you load fertiliser out of Ince and casually mention to the lass when checking out in security for a decent Chinese takeout, she will insist you have to stay with your vehicle at all times if parked in their strapping area .
And don’t arrive in a trailer advertising high value goods such as beer or cider as they rejected my reload as some ponce in the office saw me while in a meeting with some high brows and told security to get me off site .
Apparently my trailer would attract the wrong un’s who cut the trailer and see fertiliser .

Maybe Diesel Dave can explain the rules of having to stay with the vehicle at all times and the vagaries of ADR regulations.

Tarmaceater:
…the instructor said as an ADR driver, you are expected to contain corrosive acid spillage entering drains, put out fires and stay on scen.

When I did it I was told if you’re not putting yourself in danger, then you can tackle small fires and try to prevent spillages, but as soon as it becomes anything bigger than a waste paper basket, the rule is run.

Pretty sure the emergency services would rather be dealing with a damaged truck and road than a casualty who got caught up in an explosion. Having seen the result of a car fire, I got no intentions of being remotely close when a tanker catches fire!

yep, when i was on the petrol it was always asked what steps you would take in said situation and the answer was always the same…

■■■■■■ great big ones upwind of it… :laughing:

The words of wisdom given to me by a fire officer.
Runaway and let it burn, it’s insured, let the professionals deal with the fire, do not put your life at risk, you are not trained.

Think first thing I would have done would be try and drop trailer.
Maybe his lines had burned through and he couldn’t move the unit…who knows.

good point rob, but when i was on it in the 90’s the tanks we used did’nt have legs only slot on’s when it was empty for repair etc…

he could of dropped it on it’s nose but i belive there would have been leakage due to venting.

When I was on the buses I had one go up. Smell smoke, Stop, walk to the back and have a peer underneath, see flames, get all the half dozen old gits off while I grab my cash tin and bag, sit on a fence while calling 999, the depot and watching it burn. Aint my problem. I’m not paid to fight fires, duty of care to evacuate and take reasonable steps to keep public safe but thats as far as my remit goes. Didn’t even get the satisfaction of kicking the fire extinguisher glass in :laughing:

Airline cabin crew are told the same , all that safety briefing preflight is a legal requirement in aviation law and in shipping the same brief under maritime law but when it comes to a life threatening situation where potentially a crew member could die, would you really risk your life to get a 22 stone man from seat 14 D when the plane is going to explode or sink?
But there are heroic tales of pilots knowing they will cop it and flew their doomed aircraft away from conurbation areas , check out CVR and listen to their final words.
Larry , we are going down as in the Washington DC crash where they were delayed by snow and ice .
They used the reverse thrust to reverse off the terminal as couldn’t wait for a tug .
Foreign object debris was sucked in the engines resulting in catastrophic engine destruction and loss of power over the river .