Driver shortage...for how long?

JeffA:
So you think in two years they will all be paying minimum wage again? Wouldnt that cause another driver shortage?

Wont ir35 put off east europeans when they can earn a fiver an hour more in Europe?

Can you think of any other jobs this has happened in? When plumbers started earning more did more people become plumbers so rates fell back lower?

I didn’t say it would be min wage (although with inflation and labor proposal for £10 per hour NMW who knows lol), it’ll prob be £10-11 for class 2 and £12-13 for class 1 starting rates

I don’t think ‘‘europeans’’ are coming back for reasons not entirely related to £.per hour. I’d wager a week’s money that most if not the vast majority of those who left due to IR35 already had or could’ve obtained easily settled/pre-settled status if they wanted to.

Absent unions/gov’t protectionists policies the market will find a solution it always does. I don’t see HGV driving as a unique profession… I think there are plenty of people here willing to drop whetever they’re doing (picking/packing, laboring, sitting at home, tending gardens/bars etc. etc.) and borrow £1500 on their credit card for a week’s course to get their class 2 license and start earning, say £15 an hour. So far we’ve seen the gov’t playing along and trying to ‘‘help’’ by relaxing hours, planning to eliminate class 2 license so straight to class 1 who knows what else they’re going to come up with but they’re definitely not pro-status quo as it is now with soaring wages, that’ll put even further pressure on prices (if bosses are to be believed) and they don’t want that