We might end up being respected after all

Roverman:

edd1974:
There’s a company near me (John Mitchell of Grangemouth) that are paying £9.65 p/h for class 1 drivers.

Us Scots are the new eastern europeans. I applied online for a class 1 job today, for an Ayrshire based company running own south with frozen/chilled. Four days on 4 off, tramping. I got phone call within an hour of sending my application, the guy said they were mega busy and desperate for drivers, could I come down for an assessment and interview? I asked a few basic questions just to find out some more about what the job entails, and found out it involves running in to central London. Great. I’m not faint hearted, but in an artic it’s just too much stress for reasons we all know about. Then the pay… £10.50 per hour. Errm; thanks but no thanks. No wonder there’s a shortage of drivers; or should that be a shortage of people wanting to bend over and take it up the shyter for not a lot in return?
I’ve also seen jobs advertised up here for under a tenner per hour. A.D. Logistics at Linwood are constantly advertising for class 1 drivers; they recently put the hourly rate for dayshift up from £9.50 per hour. to… £9.90 per hour. Aye right; haud me back!!! :unamused: