Jersey ferry

Has anyone been on the ferry to Jersey (channel islands, not USA, lol).
One of our crews are going over there to do 3 weeks work. We will be going over with 8 loads over that time, apparently dropping & swapping at the docks before returning. I see it’s a 10hr crossing. Just wondered if anyone has used this ferry? I want to know what to expect, ie. Bunk, meals, tv etc. I’ve looked on the ferry’s website and it’s all a bit vague.

Not the biggest ferry around so it doesn’t take too long to load.
10 hours overnight from Portsmouth and daytime return.
There’s a restaurant and seating area,not a lot else.

fodentanker:

Thanks for the reply.
Did you cross as freight or passenger? Was the cabin & food included in the ticket? When did you cross? What, if any are the Covid requirements? Sorry for all the questions but, this will be the first time one of us will be making this journey and trying to pre-arm us with enough understanding so we know what to expect.
PS. I’m aware of the 4l duty free spirits allowance on return, so even if the crossing is pants, there’s compensation! Lol

Drop and swap for the Channel Islands?
I’ll have a wee wager it’s Pompey docks. Why put units on the boat when its 99% un-acc?

Franglais:
I’ll have a wee wager it’s Pompey docks. Why put units on the boat when its 99% un-acc?

Yep, you need a permit to run an artic on Jersey (I assume that’s in hand for the crew that’s working there? Here’s the link if not gov.je/Travel/Motoring/Over … s/p30.aspx ). So assuming the ‘shuttle’ vehicle won’t have a permit, and therefore can’t leave the docks, just drop the trailer at Pompey and collect the empty. Job done.

chesterred16:

Franglais:

Yep, you need a permit to run an artic on Jersey (I assume that’s in hand for the crew that’s working there? Here’s the link if not gov.je/Travel/Motoring/Over … s/p30.aspx ). So assuming the ‘shuttle’ vehicle won’t have a permit, and therefore can’t leave the docks, just drop the trailer at Pompey and collect the empty. Job done.

Thanks for the info. I’m sure the powers that be have all the paperwork in hand.
Personally I think it’s more likely to be transferring the load to the crews tanker. The way we do it on the mainland, for a number of reasons. But the gov’ner seemed to think it’ll be d&s. BTW. It’s all non-adr as I saw that may cause an issue.

Franglais:

We thought that’ll be the better option, but apparently not. It’s probably because the tanker serving the crew working needs to be on the island to off-load when they need it. Having him disappear for 20+ hours, 8 times in 3 weeks would blow their schedules.

LazyDriver:

fodentanker:

Thanks for the reply.
Did you cross as freight or passenger? Was the cabin & food included in the ticket? When did you cross? What, if any are the Covid requirements? Sorry for all the questions but, this will be the first time one of us will be making this journey and trying to pre-arm us with enough understanding so we know what to expect.
PS. I’m aware of the 4l duty free spirits allowance on return, so even if the crossing is pants, there’s compensation! Lol

Crossed with a car and paid for a cabin. There are different grades of cabin. The picture is a standard cabin. You can upgrade to a superior cabin, which has a TV and is at the front of the ship. You get a view of where you are going, although from Portsmouth it will be dark as it’s the night crossing. had to buy any food.
Freight traffic may have meals included.

This was last September and we had a COVID-19 test on arrival in the port. (The Jersey Goverment were testing everyone as they arrived. Not too sure of the current situation regarding testing, you can check online).
Then we had to isolate until we got the result. A negative result arrived via a text message 24 hours later and we were free to move around the Island.

There is only 1 very short 40mph dual carriageway with the rest of the Island single lane.
If you think of the roads in Devon and Cornwall you will find the roads there similar.

Lovely Island with very helpful, friendly people.
( could be biased as we have family there).

We have been a few times and thought it funny the amount of rolls and Ferrari etc there when there is no where to drive fast. Are there lorries max 7ft 6 max ?

we opened a store on Jersey 2 or 3 years ago…i put my name down for that run…not happening though :frowning: Profreight from Pompey deal with it.

there’s a road where all the gold outlets are/were think it was called 1 mile road once got the hire car upto 45 mph down there :sunglasses:

p.s if you get any play time get yourself up to plemont bay with the right weather you’d think you were in the bahamas, stunning…

Depends how old you are, you could hire an old triumph and ride around pretending to be bergerac. Haha

It was a…

Firm called Heulin Renouf that shipped out there from Pompey docks. I used to take 20’ containers in and out as well as load spuds/cauliflower/calabrese in the season.

Just to say thanks for all the contributions, and as a follow-up to my earlier questions.
Now, having travelled (well, travelling) the crossing. Portsmouth to Jersey via Guernsey. On the freight ticket I had, it included a cabin and two meal vouchers. A breakfast one, being served when boarding till around 10:15.and a main meal that included soup, main & dessert (not for me!) which could be used for either a lunch or dinner.
Had to reverse on and trailers NEED achor points.
After boarding, my boss phoned me to say they couldn’t get me on the return, so I was looking forward to a 24hr stopover. He phoned again later on to say they’d sorted it. Bah humbug.
So, prensently heading for Jersey to do a quick drop & swap, book-in then board again. More food!!!

Hope you’ve got a good book.
Or two

Franglais:
Hope you’ve got a good book.
Or two

You weren’t wrong! Ironically, the two ‘issues’ that should have slowed things. Testing due to Covid & customs because of Brexit were the slickest part of the operation.