Amnesty

Conor:

beefy4605:

• most dont like the fact we state that you MAY be required to do 4 -5 nights out a week .

That’s instantly going to put off any young people with a family. It’s not normal to be someone with another half and young kids to want to be away from home most of the week. Hell it’s not even normal with a young family to be wanting to do an 11-12hr or more working day. I do a changeover with a lad whose missus recently had a kid and even though he’s home every day his aim is to get back and finished as soon as possible. He does the job properly, he just won’t hang around for a chat anymore any longer than he has to.

Haulage want younger blood coming in but they want people to continue to run hours that society have long since moved on from. It isn’t only the hauliers that need to change either, the whole logistics sector does because how many hours you do in a week are needless, hours that are wasted sat there waiting to just get started to be loaded and tipped or waiting for paperwork? Certainly on the fridges probably half your working week if you’re doing Tesco and the like. When I’m on days doing our own store deliveries quite a few are on you with a forklift as soon as your wheels are stopped because they appreciate that hold ups have consequences for you but there’s far too many who just ignore you’re there and will be an hour before they start you and then take an age to unload you. When you mention that they’re robbing you of time at home and sleep they look at you with disbelief because they’re incapable of understanding that our job doesn’t just finish because it’s 5.30pm like theirs does and the longer we’re there the later we get home.

Self driving vehicles are far enough off that we’re going to hit a point where there actually isn’t enough drivers because they’ve retired. Companies won’t get their deliveries and Tesco can stamp and stomp their feet and threaten to punish suppliers as much as they want but if there’s nobody to drive the trucks because people don’t want to waste 20hrs a week of their life they don’t need to sat waiting at an RDC then Tesco ain’t getting their stuff.

It aint just this game, Ive got mates in the pub trade, restaurant trade, all the building trades, care homes, you name it…and they are ALL struggling for staff, do you blame the education system for teaching them that work doesnt pay, or do you blame the benefit system for paying people not to work ?......or as I saw on LinkedIn yesterday, is it the "furlough" scheme keeping too many away from the workspace ?, 8m still being paid to do sweet FA, WTF is that about ?.....I certainly know plenty who are taking the ■■■■, and a hell of a lot them are "drivers" awaiting the cessation of the IR35 clamp down, its not rocket science if you ran your business correctly to think Ill have a bit of this, easy dollar this 80% sponsored sun bathing :open_mouth: