Confusion with hours etc

Hi,
I’m a newbie Class 2 driver so please forgive this query if it sounds a bit daft.
When looking at both driving hours and WTD time, can I take WTD break as part of my driving break?
For example, I start at 6am, do “Other Work” and driving (less than 4.5 hrs) until say 11:45, then take a 15 min break to cover WTD break. Then carry on until my 4.5 driving hrs is almost up, and then take a further 30 min break. Does that 30 min break also cover off the 15 min break needed if working between hours 6 & 9? or do I need to take a further 15 min break for WTD as well as the driving hours break ?
It’s not easy to explain this, so feel free to query the details.

as long as your break(s) are minimum of 15 mins they’ll count towards wtd regardless. For the most part, if you follow drivers hours regs, you’ll comply with wtd rules as you’ll be having ample breaks then. Some exceptions such as if you were 6 hours on other work with no driving etc. But yes, in a nutshell your driving hours breaks will also cover wtd.

It’s good that you are trying to do things “by the book”.

In general, in most truck driving jobs complying with tacho rules will cover the WTD requirements, the only real exception being if you do a lot of “other work”.

However, it must be said that WTD isn’t enforced. The most you will ever have to do is sign for an infringement, nobody is ever prosecuted for it.

In a nutshell, yes, the breaks count to reset your driving and for the road transport working time regulations.

Taking the 15 really allows you to carry on without worrying too much about the 6 hour rule and you will most likely naturally need to take the 30 minutes for driving and then that should see you through normally.

Harry Monk:

In general, in most truck driving jobs complying with tacho rules will cover the WTD requirements, the only real exception being if you do a lot of “other work”.

However, it must be said that WTD isn’t enforced. The most you will ever have to do is sign for an infringement, nobody is ever prosecuted for it.

This.

If “other work” is just yard shunting or something which doesn’t involve much driving then just take your 30 or 60 min lunch break like the rest of the staff at the place you’re working at and you’ll be covered, but as Harry says, no-one cares about the WTD anyway and it’s basically ignored by everyone. Same as the box (POA) setting on the tacho. No-one uses it. :smiley:

You do not need 45 mins of WTD breaks before 9 hours if the shift is longer than that
Example - 12 hour shift with 11 hrs + 15 mins working time
Work 4 hours
Drive 2 hours
15 break
Drive 2 hours
Work 2 hours
Drive 30 mins
30 min break
Drive 1 hour
Work 15 mins

It is important to note that EU driver’s hours break requirements take precedence over WTD breaks when driving, so be sure you are taking the correct break periods when combing driving with other work.

DCPCFML:

Harry Monk:

This.

If “other work” is just yard shunting or something which doesn’t involve much driving then just take your 30 or 60 min lunch break like the rest of the staff at the place you’re working at and you’ll be covered, but as Harry says, no-one cares about the WTD anyway and it’s basically ignored by everyone. Same as the box (POA) setting on the tacho. No-one uses it. :smiley:

Just been reading today that one in four commercial drivers are breaking rest rules. commercialfleet.org/news/la … al-drivers

ROG:
You do not need 45 mins of WTD breaks before 9 hours if the shift is longer than that
Work 4 hours
Drive 2 hours
15 break
Drive 2 hours
Work 2 hours
Drive 30 mins
30 min break
Drive 1 hour
Work 15 mins

I think this example is wrong. You’ve needed to have taken another 15min break before 9hrs work for wtd. (which wouldn’t count towards your tacho break, as being the second break needs to be 30mins for tacho break)

LazyDriver:

ROG:
Work 4 hours
Drive 2 hours
15 break
Drive 2 hours
Work 2 hours
Drive 30 mins
30 min break
Drive 1 hour
Work 15 mins

I think this example is wrong. You’ve needed to have taken another 15min break before 9hrs work for wtd. (which wouldn’t count towards your tacho break, as being the second break needs to be 30mins for tacho break)

If the shift was ending at 9hrs that would be true.

But here because the shift extends beyond 9hrs the driver is taking his other breaks later on.
Ever seen examples where breaks need to be taken just before the end of a shift, then followed by one minute of work?
Crazy, but thems the rules.
I’ll stand correction on that though.

IanGould3:
Hi,
I’m a newbie Class 2 driver so please forgive this query if it sounds a bit daft.
When looking at both driving hours and WTD time, can I take WTD break as part of my driving break?
For example, I start at 6am, do “Other Work” and driving (less than 4.5 hrs) until say 11:45, then take a 15 min break to cover WTD break. Then carry on until my 4.5 driving hrs is almost up, and then take a further 30 min break. Does that 30 min break also cover off the 15 min break needed if working between hours 6 & 9? or do I need to take a further 15 min break for WTD as well as the driving hours break ?
It’s not easy to explain this, so feel free to query the details.

You can get an app for that , it does cost a few quid ( about £5) but will help you massively to understand breaks , wtd directive and rest periods . Its available on Google Play and the Apple app store - Trucker Timer.
I use it and find it helps in keeping on top of it . Takes a little patience to set it up properly but I found it was worth it . My opinion - others may have a different opinion .

Franglais:

LazyDriver:

ROG:
Work 4 hours
Drive 2 hours
15 break
Drive 2 hours
Work 2 hours
Drive 30 mins
30 min break
Drive 1 hour
Work 15 mins

But here because the shift extends beyond 9hrs the driver is taking his other breaks later on.
Ever seen examples where breaks need to be taken just before the end of a shift, then followed by one minute of work?

I’m going to go for the correction choice.
This is how I understand it…
I agree with the silly ‘can’t end on a break’ rule though

Sorry, just reading what I posted and I see your point. I am wrong on your example. Soz

LazyDriver:

Franglais:

LazyDriver:

ROG:
Work 4 hours
Drive 2 hours
15 break
Drive 2 hours
Work 2 hours
Drive 30 mins
30 min break
Drive 1 hour
Work 15 mins

I’m going to go for the correction choice.
This is how I understand it…
I agree with the silly ‘can’t end on a break’ rule though

I see nothing that contradict Rog’s example.
His driver takes 15min before 6hrs.
And 45min before shift end. (Shift over 9hr)
He doesn’t exceed 6hr without a break.
Yes, he goes beyond 9hrs on only 15min break, but that doesn’t seem to actually be a problem, as the further break is taken before the shift ends.
I assume this where you see the problem?
Common sense says it’s a problem, but the rules, as I read them, don’t.
Ed. Written at same time as last post by LazyDriver

Just goes to show, the title of this thread is fairly accurate. And every day’s a school day. I’m happy to have learnt this lesson today and it’s going to help me out. :laughing:

To all the newbies : just forget about WTD unless you work at somewhere that actively maintains records. 90% of companies it’s just lip service, you might have to insert some times on a sheet but the sheet probably gets filed in the round basket anyway. No-one cares about WTD and no-one enforces it. Even the DCPC trainers are clueless and all of them get the 6 hours/15 min break wrong.

DCPCFML:
To all the newbies : just forget about WTD unless you work at somewhere that actively maintains records. 90% of companies it’s just lip service, you might have to insert some times on a sheet but the sheet probably gets filed in the round basket anyway. No-one cares about WTD and no-one enforces it. Even the DCPC trainers are clueless and all of them get the 6 hours/15 min break wrong.

Sorry, but it’s exactly the places newbies are likely to get a start that enforce wtd. Supermarkets being the most prominent.
On this topic however, some years ago i was pulled by plod. I told him I was coming up to a wtd break. “we done bother with that nonsense” was the reply.

DCPCFML:

The DVSA may not actively look for WTD problems, but excessive work time has always been a problem.
Wasn’t there a Land Rover driver in trouble for that previously?
If in an accident any WTD problems will surely be taken onto account.
WTD problems aren’t looked for, but they aren’t necessarily ignored.

Franglais:

DCPCFML:

The DVSA may not actively look for WTD problems, but excessive work time has always been a problem.
Wasn’t there a Land Rover driver in trouble for that previously?

No.