Stobarts, Yes? Or No?

Hi, putting out the feelers for your opinions on Stobarts. I’ve been out of the game for a few years and to help get back on the road, I was thinking of going Stobarts. But, I have no idea what they are like these days?
Can someone give me a reality check, at one time they were a huge empire, but now, I hear nothing about them? I don’t think they even have the spotters anymore. I remember last time I was on the trucks, a lot of drivers said they were bad to work for.
They seem to be recruiting a lot these days. I just don’t know if to take that leap or not.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Low paid donkey graft.
Some love it most hate it.
What area are you in pal?

Beetlejuice:
Low paid donkey graft.

im inbetween Penrith & Manchester

Ward1969:

Beetlejuice:
Low paid donkey graft.

im inbetween Penrith & Manchester

I am sure a few of the local boys will chip in to help you out pal.

If you need experience go for it. After a few months you move on.You can look for another when you are there

Stobrat drivers :

1. newbies there for xp.
  2. non-newbies who are too thick/useless to hold down a job at a proper company.
  3. EEs.

Hence the daily bridge strikes up and down the land.

I was a bit sceptical at first about working for them on agency, and was very surprised about how easy going the office staff are, I think they are a very different company to how they may have been 25-30 years ago.
I have no idea how much they pay their permanent staff, but working for them on agency pays a lot more than most do in my local area, £9 -£10 per hour, and I wish I was joking.
Try em via the agency first and see how ya go, if ya like it and they like you, the preferred agency will ask ya if ya want to go permanent.
Unless the other posters have worked for them, they have no idea what they are like to work for, or what they pay.
Just had a look at a recent ad for the depot I have been working at and most definitely pay more than the other companies do in my area.
Just to add, sorry for the positive post for the most hated haulage company in the country, after 33 years in the industry I know a bad company when I work for one :blush:

English is the 4th spoken language

Having Stobartski on your cv will prevent you from getting a decent job

The pay is woeful and any company that starts having to include £5 meals in your pay should be avoided.

You’ll be taking for a fool amongst other drivers.

15 hours and 6 day weeks a target by planners

Green uniform…

LisasGuy:
15 hours and 6 day weeks a target by planners

No different than most haulage companies that have you tramping all week then except Stobarts pays better.

Better than the dole. Better than a lot of small firms, especially owner drivers who get delusions of grandure and get another wagon or two. Plobber work so a good way to get back into it.

Conor:
. Better than a lot of small firms, especially owner drivers who get delusions of grandure and get another wagon or two. .

Not so much illusions of grandeur Conor, more progression, ambition, and sticking your neck out to ‘‘have a go’’…bad move from day 1, misguided, naive, definitely, but ‘ambition’ nevertheless.
I’ve been there…Don’t knock people for trying. :bulb:

robroy:
.Don’t knock people for trying. :bulb:

It’s far easier to knock and destroy than to create…….

robroy:

Conor:
. Better than a lot of small firms, especially owner drivers who get delusions of grandure and get another wagon or two. .

Not so much illusions of grandeur Conor, more progression, ambition, and sticking your neck out to ‘‘have a go’’…bad move from day 1, misguided, naive, definitely, but ‘ambition’ nevertheless.

+1 Same here, it’s called trying to make something of your life. You carnt knock someone for that

As a way back in, or into the industry at all, why not go for it. A good friend of mine works out of Rugby and he’s stuck with it, enjoys it and says the added bonus is that they’ll think you’re amazing if you have a brain cell :laughing:

But why not try it and sod what others say. What’s the worst? It doesn’t work out but in the meantime you’re beefing up your recent experience.

Taken from total jobs

9 quid an hour for class 1 is appalling.

Why would you?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ward1969:
Hi, putting out the feelers for your opinions on Stobarts. I’ve been out of the game for a few years and to help get back on the road, I was thinking of going Stobarts. But, I have no idea what they are like these days?
Can someone give me a reality check, at one time they were a huge empire, but now, I hear nothing about them? I don’t think they even have the spotters anymore. I remember last time I was on the trucks, a lot of drivers said they were bad to work for.
They seem to be recruiting a lot these days. I just don’t know if to take that leap or not.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

I wouldn’t go down there agency path , I listened to a lass tonight spending 1/2 hr trying to convince me not to leave tomorrow ( thurs ) , but it always came back to the same thing , the lass wanted to sort it but she was controlled by stobarts , so couldn’t do anything at all with out there say so , you’ll just find it very frustrating in the end ( I did ) & just call it a day
Can’t help you with permanent as haven’t done it for years , but mates who do arnt happy over the apx 30 p pay rise
Nb I’m changing to a day shift job for a reasonably big company, pay cut , 12 hr shifts ( mate got recovered from Stamford last week ) how’s that possible on 12 hr days , etc etc , it’s all crap these days , but I can walk to work on this job , only positive I’m seeing , at least it’s something
Best of luck with your search

elsa Lad:

robroy:

Conor:

+1 Same here, it’s called trying to make something of your life. You carnt knock someone for that

Trouble is it usually isn’t very good for the poor sod who ends up being the driver that is part of the fleet expansion experiment.

Anything will do to get you back into the swing of things, your area isn’t brilliant but if you want to tramp which means only 1 commute each week instead of 4/5/6 you can see what’s about further afield.

You might find some of the better outfits might be a bit reluctant to take you on if you’re rusty so a while getting your act together again can only be good, we recently took an ex Stobbie lad on so working there didn’t harm him in any way, he’s fitted in fine and appreciates what he’s got.

Thanks for the replies all, both positive and negative, much appreciate the feedback.
Stay Safe!

Conor:

elsa Lad:

robroy:

Conor:

Trouble is it usually isn’t very good for the poor sod who ends up being the driver that is part of the fleet expansion experiment.

Well as long as he ain’t got his arm being held up his back, he is free to leave. :bulb:
Your generalizing again Conor,.I had lads rarely leave me for anything less than a genuine reason, mainly because I treated them like grown ups and got loyalty back in return.

As for o/p and Stobbies…Give them a go, get back in the swing of things and if it ain’t what you want get something better…there are better and worse firms out there.