...... broken cab tilt ram

So I have a Volvo FH12 2003 with a broken cab tilt ram … any ideas how the hell I tilt the cab in order to replace it? I have a jCB telehandler so the lifting side of things is easy but an nervous about damaging the cab in the process. Anyone got experience of having to tilt the cab without the ram … any hints or tips much appreciated??

Not familiar with the Volvo tbh, but the MAN I drive has two of these on the back of the cab for (presumably) this scenario.

the maoster:
Not familiar with the Volvo tbh, but the MAN I drive has two of these on the back of the cab for (presumably) this scenario.

Thanks!! … I’ll take another more careful look at the back of mine and see if there is anything remotely similar.

If there’s nothing like that careful use of bottle jacks and lumps of wood should get it to the point where it’s own weight will take it the rest of the way but there’s usually somewhere you can get a hook on so it can be lifted.

Just beware that if the ram has completely failed in both directions then once it gets to that tipping point there won’t be anything to slow it’s fall forward so make sure there’s nothing in the cab that can fly about.

Good point that Conor.
Make sure there’s an in place block and tackle anchored to something solid so when you lift it to the balance point you can control its drop forwards and hold it steady

Not familiar with the volvo set up, but the ram may be the stop to limit how far forward the cab goes, once the rams off there could be nothing to stop the cab going all the way over.
You would be better getting the cab up high enough to work on the ram with out it going over the balance point, and support the cab weight on blocks of wood.