Driver CPC, new guidance

Hurryup&wait:

Bri_8691:
Hi All,
I’ve not driven professionally for 13 years plus - originally passed LGV 2 and then 1 (although never used the 1 in employment) - I stopped pre CPC etc, - Now working in a small factory.
My employer has asked me to drive a hire 7.5t, (assuming he can get one) to go collect a piece of machinery he’s bought… (driving is not part of my usual job at all now)
This involves a 7 hour round trip of 440 miles.

I know the rules are very different these days - can anyone tell me if CPC is officially needed, even for a ‘one off’ trip of this nature? I read (rather quickly) that there are exemptions, but I am not, in effect, driving for ‘personal reasons’ or under the 60(ish) mile limit i read about…, and all during the ‘lock down’ too…

The DVLA helpline was closed when I tried ringing … can anyone give clarity please? Thanks in advance…

Good news for you, You do not require a driver CPC.

Directly from the government website gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver.

You do not need it because driving is not the main part of your job. Also I don’t believe bringing back a piece of machinery he has bought would be considered commercial transport.

That’s my take on it anyway. Crack on and enjoy. A quick call to a transport knowledgeable solicitor would be a good place to get a definitive answer as too many varying opinions around here and a VOSA office would be probably worse.

I agree not needed it’s own account work not hire and reward and driving is definitely not the main job working in a factory is.

If it was delivering finished products once a week regularly to customers for example it would be a bit more of a grey area.

Will steed need tacho so will probably need to get a card.