R.I.P rslicker aka Brian Elliss

euromat:

muckles:
I think it was him that also spent some time working for VOSA, very useful to have somebody on the inside so to speak.

RIP Brian.

He did, but i don’t think he was too impressed by them

No he wasn’t, at least from what he told me of one incident as an example of why he felt it wasn’t for him.

They were checking trucks coming into Flamstead truckstop, during the day they’d been some problems on the M1 which caused loads of delays, he went to check a truck run by an owner/driver, found he’d run over his time, Brian was going to let the driver off because as far as he was concerned he’d stop at the first suitable place, but his boss said the driver should have stopped round St Albans, I get the impression that Brian and his boss then had a disagreement, with Brian’s opinion being it was better for road safety that the driver ran over his time and made it to a proper stop than spend the night in some layby without facilities.

I suppose his opinion comes from the fact he’d done the job, I’m sure his experience meant you couldn’t pull the wool over his eyes if you were running bent either, which is really the type of person you want doing vehicle checks.

Like I said good bloke who gave me a lot of advice when I was trying to get to grips with having to run trucks for race teams for the first time.