Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Frankydobo:
This is outside of the Discovery Museum in Newcastle. I think it’s the last tank built at the Scotswood works. But I stand to be corrected Regards Kev.

Its the Challenger 2 Kev, and it was the first post war British Main Battle Tank to be designed, developed and produced by a single manufacturer, Vickers Defence Systems now Alvis Vickers and part of BAe Systems. It first went into service in May 1994 and proved itself and the expertise of the British crews on Op Telic the Iraq War. A total of 386 CR2 tanks were built in Newcastle. A Challenger 2E an enhanced version was also built for export. Franky.

Thanks Franky, it’s certainly an impressive piece of kit! The shot of the armour travelling along Scotswood Rd reminded me that it was a regular sight to see armoured vehicles on test on the Military Rd in the seventies. You always seemed to come across them when there was double white line on the road. :unamused: :wink: They weren’t particularly slow, just a bit inconvenient to pass if you lost your momentum. Also the trade plates stick in my mind, they did look odd on a tank! Regards Kev.