R.I.P SAVIEM

I was on a trip overseas the last two weeks, I finally got the information when David/Fergie47 kindly emailed me with the disastrous news.
Shocking, and as so many have suggested, not only the loss of a great human being but also the definitive evaporation of a unique encyclopedia of trucking knowledge and experience.

Sometimes pictures and/or music speak better than words. Here are a few SAVIEM-specific memorablia in respectful memory of John.

I did share these pictures with him on PM, sadly never the videos.

[Click on the picture and it will go upright as it should]

Over the past years John posted a number of stories on here about VIT (Valenton International Transports), a fairly well-known Middle-East haulage firm in the 70s, operating out of France. He was always very complimentary about them.

This particular unit is owned by my friend Julien in France, who restored her back into VIT’s exact livery 2 years ago or so.
Julien’s passion for this firm is natural - his father used to be a Middle-East driver with VIT during the 70s and this lorry is the exact replica of his unit number P44.
Still powered by the original MAN V8, before SAVIEM introduced the “SM 280 TU” powered by a straight-6 engine which, apart from much better fuel economy was also known for its characteristic turbo whistle.

Much credit to Julien who does a fantastic job keeping his many classic motors in roadworthy condition and available for shows.

Last year I told John I was trying to organise a “Frenchy presence” at the Gaydon retro show with a few mates including Julien and his SAVIEM. I was hoping I could finally meet John in person and at the same time allow him to climb inside a SAVIEM cabin once more.

Sadly it wasn’t to be…

I hope up there in the routier above us you are able to enjoy all the memories of your exceptionally rich life.
Grateful for your presence on TN and all the knowledge and stories you shared with all of us over the years.

Rest in peace John.