My Journey - Theory - C - C+E = Job

Hi Wills, My advice is to consider the driving tests as a “performance” for an hour or so, if you have a good instructor who knows the examiners and the test routes, you will find it easy. Try not to be put off by the size of the vehicles, you will soon become used to them, and amazed at the places you can get them. Try and relax on your tests, I know its not that easy but after I failed my first class2, I went into the second with the attitude that every time I fail, the chances of me passing the next time increase… This worked for me on the second class two which I passed, with 8 minors and again on my class 1 (failed again first try - 16 minors !!!) but sailed through the next go with only 8 minors. Try and enjoy the driving, it is a lot of fun in a big truck, and try not to get bogged down with test worries, you will pass.

The real fun begins after you pass, if you think you are nervous before the tests , wait till you go out on your own on your first job. I was so tense on my first run, a very simple delivery of yoghurt and then a return load of Flora light, that my legs still ached two days after the trip!

To answer you question, is there work ?, yes is the answer if you go find it. I have been lucky in that my training school also run an agency and I have had plenty of days, and each job builds my confidence and experience a little more. My last job found me sitting on a loading bay in Milton keynes waiting to be “tipped” of my load of friges, the sun was shinning, I had a large mug of coffee and some apple pies and a copy of truck and driver magazine and everthing in the world was fantastic. I am definatly hooked. There is definatly a camarardery amongst class 1 drivers, I cant remember the last time anyone ever gave me a greeting in the car park of a service station, but when you step out your truck and pull on your HI VIS jacket you know you are amongst friends, - two nods and an “alright boy” despite my truck being the oldest in the park.

Keep us posted with the training and the tests and good luck.