BEST 'ERGO' ?

windrush:
I was thinking more along the lines of the original Ergomatic cab, AEC, ALBION or LEYLAND and I don’t think that the Marathon resembles the ORIGINAL design much myself. Disregarding the build quality and ‘tin worm’ problems it must have been a revelation for a driver to get one of these to work with when he had probably been used to the LAD cab or a Foden FG or Plastic Pig, Atky etc etc for example? There were virtually no ‘Foreign’ lorries in the UK in the early 1960’s so it is pointless going on about what we COULD have had, more a question of what was readily available back then to owner’s. I only drove one, a Marshall, around a quarry (briefly) but was suprised at how comfy it was compared to Foden’s S39/36 and S50 half cab offerings that replaced the AEC’s on our fleet, the controls were light and visibility was excellent so I would imagine that most driver’s would have been pretty chuffed with the design at that period in time?

Pete.

Hi Pete,
I drove Bedford TK’S a Bedford KM for 8 months also a Dodge K series and previous to that a LAD cabbed Dodge and a Seddon 13/4.
Compared to all of those the Ergo cabbed Leyland Comet that I drove was luxury in 1970/71. I drove a D series Ford six wheeler which was OK and a Commer Maxiload and a BMC FH 140. Whilst my favourite was the Commer, the Ergo cabbed Comet was a nice lorry and well up with anything on the road at that time.
Cheers Dave.