what3words

I feel daft asking - but I suppose EVERYBODY has heard of what3words?!?
Precision to < a square metre… most times on land sea, jungle, field, pond, ditch, burger joint…etc…,
Customers yard in the middle of nowhere, a building site with no address yet. Possible to use with your Googly Maps when you are very near destination.
(I’m not sure if it’s internet or a phone sig…)
Better than postcode because it is accurate to 3sq MTRS max.
So if you want the entrance gate to the place you are going to then it goes straight to it.
You look on the map, on your tablet or phone and scroll the map, as you do, until you can see your destination - click right where you want to be…then hit “Navigate” and it will take you straight there. Through Google maps or its own map. This avoids you arriving at destination around the back or the wrong entrance.

Did anybody get what3words…?

Newbie 1:

It’s being heavily advertised at the moment, but in my opinion is proprietory rubbish.

They contol the database, it’s not intuitively scalable, just random words…

God knows how they have convinced people to think it’s a great “disruptive” idea :unamused:

Stick to good old coordinates.

Fred.

Or “plus codes” which do the same job and are not proprietary.

Real men use fourkingmaps.co.uk/
put that on yer notes.

Warning only look at link if you are grown up and not easily offended

1 Like

Frederal Esssex:

Newbie 1:

It’s being heavily advertised at the moment, but in my opinion is proprietory rubbish.

God knows how they have convinced people to think it’s a great “disruptive” idea :unamused:

Fred.

I use it as a community first responder and find it to be very helpful.

teatime:
put that on yer notes.

Love it :grimacing:

teatime:
put that on yer notes.

That one is brilliant :laughing: What3words I would imagine is amazing for the emergency services though.

Frederal Esssex:

Newbie 1:

Fred.

The reason I brought it up is because when you are looking at your destination on Satellite, you can pin point the entrance you want and it will give you the what3words to it because every 3 square metre square all over the planet has got its own what3words

Then on the map page of your free app which anyone can download you just hit navigate and it takes you right to it - it’s nothing to do with propriety or consumption of databases, it’s about super accurate navigation to a specific point instead of arriving in the car park to a company, or the wrong entrance.

When used with your Truckers Maps, and your sat navs and (at destination) Google maps it get you to the right door.

Anywhere on the planet.

But as you say, Coordinates will work perfectly well and will be equally or more accurate but seeing a place on sattelite view and noting the what3words is simpler and easier than finding the coordinates and tapping them into your nav device.

That’s why the emergency services use it. :exclamation:

So either the customer can give you the what3words location of their yard entrance or if they’ve never heard of it then you can just look at their location on sattelite view tap the square where you wanna be and hit navigate, after you’ve done all your other route planning for navigation and bridges etc.

Some of you regular drops you can list on your favourites so you don’t have to keep doing all that s_-+&t every time to travel