Blood pressure

What is the maximum bp for a hgv medical , I’m reading 180 , but elsewhere 149 , ta

180 seems a bit high mate…i’m on tablets and generaly around the 140’s.

Theoretically I think a systolic reading of 180 is the highest but I’d be surprised if the DVLA didn’t give you a hard time over it.

carryfast-yeti:
180 seems a bit high mate…i’m on tablets and generaly around the 140’s.

Should of looked harder , it’s 180 on form , lowest reading on medical was 165 so should be ok

tachograph:
Theoretically I think a systolic reading of 180 is the highest but I’d be surprised if the DVLA didn’t give you a hard time over it.

Yes 180 , it’s on medical form ( open your eyes dozy ) , did 3 bp reading as form says 178 , 176 , 165 , says use lowest reading so should be ok ( they just put 1 reading , lowest on form )

gov.uk/government/publicati … fessionals

Those reading indicate a serious hazard to your health: Don’t you know about the risk of stroke etc? It’s considered high if your systolic is consistently over 140
nhs.uk/conditions/high-bloo … ertension/

What about your diastolic reading? If your Systolic is weighing in at those levels, I’ve be surprised if your Diastolic wasn’t over 100, and that’s entitlement suspended.

Plus if this is you measuring at home, it will probably increase when you’re in front of a doctor (white coat syndrome)

Zac_A:
Assessing fitness to drive: a guide for medical professionals - GOV.UK

Those reading indicate a serious hazard to your health: Don’t you know about the risk of stroke etc? It’s considered high if your systolic is consistently over 140
nhs.uk/conditions/high-bloo … ertension/

What about your diastolic reading? If your Systolic is weighing in at those levels, I’ve be surprised if your Diastolic wasn’t over 100, and that’s entitlement suspended.

Plus if this is you measuring at home, it will probably increase when you’re in front of a doctor (white coat syndrome)

They were done by nurse at doctors for medical , yes know about w/c/s, nurse wrote on medical form 165 / 91 , which should be ok for medical , but we shall see
As for the 140 , is that not if you have a medical illness ( ie diabetis ) , that’s why I’m doing a weeks bp reading as apparently the max is 139 , I’m over that so nurse thinks I will be on bp medication as if it’s over 139 long term can affect kidneys / liver I think she said

The 140 is just the the cut-off point, regardless of what is causing it, being consistently over 140 systolic (or 90 diastolic) is considered high BP.

I temporarily had high BP some years ago, which did cause a suspension of my entitlement until it was sorted, but I avoided medication by making lifestyle changes. For some years now I’ve monitored my own BP regularly with an approved BP Monitor
bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/

Zac_A:
The 140 is just the the cut-off point, regardless of what is causing it, being consistently over 140 systolic (or 90 diastolic) is considered high BP.

I temporarily had high BP some years ago, which did cause a suspension of my entitlement until it was sorted, but I avoided medication by making lifestyle changes. For some years now I’ve monitored my own BP regularly with an approved BP Monitor
bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/

Had bp monitor for a few years

Zac_A:

bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/

And have to fill these in on a regular basis , latest one , not too far away from 140 , but nurse still thinks I’ll go on bp medication

I’d imagine you’re in the waiting list for a 24 hour cuff? Great fun that is, goes off every hour during daytime, then every two hours during the night.