Transport manager fined Driver

Hi everyone
I am kind of new to truck driving and only started with a new company recently, as it turns out there is only four other drivers who all have recently became truck drivers .Now without knowing all the details one of them got tacho infringements for driving over his hours a couple of times and was fined £100 by the transport manager.
What I want to know is this common cos I thought it was only the police and dvsa that could issue a fine.
Thanks for your help

ScottishJoe:
Hi everyone
I am kind of new to truck driving and only started with a new company recently, as it turns out there is only four other drivers who all have recently became truck drivers .Now without knowing all the details one of them got tacho infringements for driving over his hours a couple of times and was fined £100 by the transport manager.
What I want to know is this common cos I thought it was only the police and dvsa that could issue a fine.

The only way a TM can fine you for infringements is if you’ve signed a contract allowing him to, and even then I’m not sure if it would be legal.
Legal or not it’s certainly not right.

Your colleague needs to stand up to this fool of a TM and refuse to pay the fine, a company cannot legally deduct money from your wages without your consent.

The answer to your question is that I’ve never heard of this happening before, so no it’s not common and unless the driver has agreed to pay company fines I’m 99.9% sure it’s not legal.

Having said that, are you sure your colleague isn’t winding you up?

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

What was the infringement?
(Not that I could imagine any justifying the fine)

stu675:

ScottishJoe:
Now without knowing all the details one of them got tacho infringements for driving over his hours a couple of times and was fined £100 by the transport manager.

tachograph:

stu675:

ScottishJoe:
Now without knowing all the details one of them got tacho infringements for driving over his hours a couple of times and was fined £100 by the transport manager.

I was obviously so incensed at the thought of financial penalty that I failed at reading.
Thanks [emoji106]

Thanks guys that’s what I thought, so am I right to assume its only the police and dvsa that can issue a fine, again thanks for your help

ScottishJoe:
Thanks guys that’s what I thought, so am I right to assume its only the police and dvsa that can issue a fine, again thanks for your help

I’m not sure if the police still issue fines for drivers hours infringements, I believe they used to be able to but I’m not sure if they still can, the DVSA can and do.

I suppose if you’ve signed an employment contract to say that you will pay company fines for infringements it may be legal, but to be honest I’m not sure if it’s legal or not.

Assuming that you haven’t signed or agreed to pay financial penalties for hours infringements the TM is out on a limb, some companies have employment contracts that state that the driver must pay any insurance excess in the case of a driver fault accident and as far as I’m aware that is legal, though I don’t know how common it is, before I retired I had one TM give me an employment contract saying that I would have to pay any insurance excess and I refused to sign it until the contract was changed, which it was :slight_smile:

Drivers need to be prepared to stand up to these TMs or you’ll end up paying for the vehicle maintenance and wear and tear :frowning:

Having said all that, if it was me I’d check that it’s not my colleague winding me up before getting too worked up over the issue :wink:

Thanks tachograph l know it’s not a wind up as everything with this company is through an app on your phone and he showed me the infringements and fines

When I’m asked to sign for an infringement, it states the level of fine I would be liable for if prosecuted for it.
Is he confusing this part of the paperwork…?

I’ve already decided that I don’t like this TM! If he was mine I’d be casually passing this up the food chain to senior management and enquire if they knew what this TM was doing with the money he has collected.

trevorking1964:
When I’m asked to sign for an infringement, it states the level of fine I would be liable for if prosecuted for it.
Is he confusing this part of the paperwork…?

That’s what I was thinking too.

That’s quite possible, I have never met the guy yet but from what I can tell he is a young guy who only recently became a transport manager, I will see if I can set up a meeting this week and find out what is going on
Cheers guys thanks for your advice