Weekly rest with truck away from depot

one of our guy’s was struggling to get back to the depot within his 60 hours. my question is…if he’d parked up say,at a MSM,and got his wife to collect him and go home,would he have to return to where he ended his weekly duty (the MSM),after his minimum 24 hrs rest,when he starts his next shift? or am i talking cobblers :laughing:

carryfast-yeti:
one of our guy’s was struggling to get back to the depot within his 60 hours. my question is…if he’d parked up say,at a MSM,and got his wife to collect him and go home,would he have to return to where he ended his weekly duty (the MSM),after his minimum 24 hrs rest,when he starts his next shift? or am i talking cobblers :laughing:

Yes - restart at MSM
If another was to recover the lorry from the MSM and the original driver restart at depot then the journey from MSM to home would need to be recorded

brilliant,thanks ROG :slight_smile:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:
one of our guy’s was struggling to get back to the depot within his 60 hours. my question is…if he’d parked up say,at a MSM,and got his wife to collect him and go home,would he have to return to where he ended his weekly duty (the MSM),after his minimum 24 hrs rest,when he starts his next shift? or am i talking cobblers [emoji38]

Yes - restart at MSM
If another was to recover the lorry from the MSM and the original driver restart at depot then the journey from MSM to home would need to be recorded

Wow I’ve never heard of anything of that before! Does that apply to daily rest also?

60 hrs so that was only a WTD requirement?

stu675:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:
one of our guy’s was struggling to get back to the depot within his 60 hours. my question is…if he’d parked up say,at a MSM,and got his wife to collect him and go home,would he have to return to where he ended his weekly duty (the MSM),after his minimum 24 hrs rest,when he starts his next shift? or am i talking cobblers [emoji38]

Yes - restart at MSM

Wow I’ve never heard of anything of that before! Does that apply to daily rest also?

It applies to daily and weekly rest periods reduced or regular.

The law is that travelling time to or from a vehicle that’s not at the drivers usual place of work or home cannot be recorded as rest, however you can travel home and back to the place where you left the vehicle in your own time, after all that’s just disposing of your time freely as “rest” requires you to be able to.

For this reason, if the driver chooses to travel home in his own time, he must start the next shift at the same place that the last shift ended.

Ok yes, I think I was aware of that. Hopefully it will never apply (to me) though.
Still seems a bit of a stupid rule, if you are ‘rescued’ they want to make your life even more difficult by returning to the scene [emoji22]

tachograph:

stu675:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:

Yes - restart at MSM

It applies to daily and weekly rest periods reduced or regular.

The law is that travelling time to or from a vehicle that’s not at the drivers usual place of work or home cannot be recorded as rest, however you can travel home and back to the place where you left the vehicle in your own time, after all that’s just disposing of your time freely as “rest” requires you to be able to.

For this reason, if the driver chooses to travel home in his own time, he must start the next shift at the same place that the last shift ended.

thanks Tachograph :slight_smile:

stu675:
Ok yes, I think I was aware of that. Hopefully it will never apply (to me) though.
Still seems a bit of a stupid rule, if you are ‘rescued’ they want to make your life even more difficult by returning to the scene [emoji22]

Start on the south coast, drive 10 hours north, get rescued back to the south coast, if this could count as rest, you could then once back drive 10 hours north again.

stevieboy308:

stu675:

Start on the south coast, drive 10 hours north, get rescued back to the south coast, if this could count as rest, you could then once back drive 10 hours north again.

Eh? Ok. Doesn’t sound like a very good business model.
I mean you get stranded not far from home in an extremely unusual occurrence. Rescued home. Then the next day starts off [zb] instead of fresh from your base.

stu675:

stevieboy308:

stu675:

Eh? Ok. Doesn’t sound like a very good business model.
I mean you get stranded not far from home in an extremely unusual occurrence. Rescued home. Then the next day starts off [zb] instead of fresh from your base.

So how far away should you be able to be rescued?

Half an hour, 1 hour, 2, 3, 10? Then what is this recorded as? As your only compliant option once out of duty time is rest to fit within the 24 hour period. How would you write it to allow a genuine case to be rescued but stop people planning a run that will include being rescued ?

oddly enough…the driver i mentioned in my original post…did run out of his 60 hours last week! so he parked up at Toddington for 24 hrs and drove back to our depot late Saturday night. he’s on maximum infringements,so daren’t take any risks.

carryfast-yeti:
oddly enough…the driver i mentioned in my original post…did run out of his 60 hours last week! so he parked up at Toddington for 24 hrs and drove back to our depot late Saturday night. he’s on maximum infringements,so daren’t take any risks.

In that case he might as well just carried on originally! The 60 hours reset at 0000 Monday morning and not after weekly rest period.

It’s not something I’d worry about, whilst action could be taken against the operator if it’s seen there’s a blatant disregard, there are no fines listed for breach of WTD

stevieboy308:

carryfast-yeti:

In that case he might as well just carried on originally! The 60 hours reset at 0000 Monday morning and not after weekly rest period.

It’s not something I’d worry about, whilst action could be taken against the operator if it’s seen there’s a blatant disregard, there are no fines listed for breach of WTD

his problem is,as an agency bod,1 more infringement and he’s out the door!

carryfast-yeti:

stevieboy308:

carryfast-yeti:

If it’s checked by the analysis then he’s getting the same Infringement, whether he had the 24 off or not, as he would have had to wait till 1st thing Monday if he was on 60 hours WTD

stevieboy308:

carryfast-yeti:

stevieboy308:

carryfast-yeti:

If it’s checked by the analysis then he’s getting the same Infringement, whether he had the 24 off or not, as he would have had to wait till 1st thing Monday if he was on 60 hours WTD

hmmm.i wonder why they haven’t sussed that one out yet? :open_mouth:

A previous job the analysis never flagged wtd Infringements