Can A Driver Drive More Than 10 Hours In 24 Hours?

Had a brain ■■■■ here, I know the general answer to this is no. BUT, I have a driver who worked 12 midnight to 12pm, in that 12 hours he drove 8 hours. He has a reduced daily rest of 9 hours, and starts again at 9pm. He drives 2:30 in the next 3 hours, taking him to midnight. He has driven 10:30 in 24 hours. I remember asking a similar question on my CPC but I don’t remember the answer lol

Iirc it used to be the case that your driver would have committed an offence but the regs now state that once a full or reduced daily rest period has been completed it wipes the slate clean re driving hours, so your man is fine.

the maoster:
Iirc it used to be the case that your driver would have committed an offence but the regs now state that once a full or reduced daily rest period has been completed it wipes the slate clean re driving hours, so your man is fine.

Yes. (mostly)
EU driver rules say a daily rest period wipes the slate clean, and a new “day” starts from the end of a daily rest.

GB Domestic rules say, 10 hrs per day; and that a day is a 24hr period, starting from the beginning of a working day.

the maoster:

Thanks for the response, it was one of our transport managers asking me as one of his drivers had done that, he seemed rather puzzled by my response, which made me second guess my myself afterwards, but I think it’s because I started going on about reduced daily rests too as of course if he had had 3 already then he would be infringing. I’ve only been in the industry just over a year so don’t know about what the regs used to be really

Franglais:

the maoster:

Yes. (mostly)
EU driver rules say a daily rest period wipes the slate clean, and a new “day” starts from the end of a daily rest.

GB Domestic rules say, 10 hrs per day; and that a day is a 24hr period, starting from the beginning of a working day.

Thanks for the response just needed to clarify that I had said the right thing. I forget the GB Domestic rules tbh, I never use them besides exams as all our vehicles are in scope of the EU regulations.