STGO Questions

Maybe one for Rik…

I’ve recently started for a plant hire company driving a 6 axle 44t lowloader. I’m told the trucks are rated for STGO Cat2 and there are the Cat2 boards for the front of the unit when running over 44 tonnes.

1. The plate certificate in the unit is a standard 44t one, i.e. the standard axle weights etc, 26t limit for the unit and 44t max train weight in the UK. Shouldn’t this be different for going into STGO territory?

2. Our loads don’t take the GVW to over 50t which would fall in as STGO Cat 1, do I have to display a Cat1 sign on the unit or Cat2 (cos that’s what the trucks are rated to)? If I have to have the Cat2 plate on (even though I’m over 44t but less than 50t GVW), am I then restricted to Cat2 speed limits?

3. If carrying a 25t machine and 4 buckets takes the overall weight over 50t (and becomes a STGO Cat2), would one or more buckets have to be carried on a separate truck because the whole lot together doesn’t qualify as an indivisible load?

I’ve tried researching on the internet but I need this explaining in proper English :wink: