Speeding Camera’s

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am looking for a bit of advice/clarity from experts on this site.

I was driving on the A1 southbound (just before Berwick Upon Tweed) when I was flashed by a camera on the opposite side of the road.

I was over the limit I admit - it was 7am and the roads were empty, so it was definitely me who set it off.

I’ve read a lot since it happened & I’m quietly confident that nothing will come of it. Is it true that the Gatso can flash even at cars on the opposite side, but the police cannot legally enforce anything? It all happened so quickly, but I was almost in line when it flashed.

The other camera, truvelo? Is forward facing, so yes that can catch approaching cars, but is that still the case if on the opposite side? A bit of google searching suggests the camera’s in that area are all gatso’s, so I’m hoping nothing will drop in my mailbox.

Any advice, knowledge or experience from similar situations would be ideal.

Thank you all.

Don’t fret. None of the cameras on that stretch are calibrated for oncoming traffic, so it’ll be a “ghost “ flash.

Just before Berwick raises some issues for future reference however, was the just before south of the border or north of it? I’m sure that you’re aware of the different speed limits depending on what side of the wall you were on.

Thank you for the reply. That’s a relief.

I honestly cannot remember the exact location however, it was shortly before coming into the temporary 40, so I am presuming just over the English border before hitting Berwick.

I am up and down that road regularly so this was certainly a wake up call for me & will be sticking to limits regardless of the side of the road I am on.