Weekly rest query

Hi would be grateful for clarification on this please. I had two consecutive reduced weekly rests whilst abroad, the rules say that’s permitted as long as I show two 45’s within a four week period? Does that mean I need to take two consecutive 45’s on the following two weekends? I didn’t but our cpc ‘expert’ says that’s ok and I haven’t had any dashboard alerts. My last four weekly rests were 28/38/90/36

phatkev21:
Hi would be grateful for clarification on this please. I had two consecutive reduced weekly rests whilst abroad, the rules say that’s permitted as long as I show two 45’s within a four week period? Does that mean I need to take two consecutive 45’s on the following two weekends? I didn’t but our cpc ‘expert’ says that’s ok and I haven’t had any dashboard alerts. My last four weekly rests were 28/38/90/36

Where in the rules does it say that :question:

phatkev21:

In any two weeks you must have either two regular weekly rest periods or at-east one regular and one reduced weekly rest period.

The reason you have not picked up an infringement for your weekly rest periods is because the 90 hour rest period, which I assume crossed two weeks (Sunday/Monday) ?, counts as a regular weekly rest period for the week in which you had a 38 hour reduced weekly rest period, and because it can be used as two back to back regular weekly rest periods it will, again assuming it crossed two weeks, count as a regular weekly rest period for the week in which you had a 36 hour reduced weekly rest period.

1.6 Weekly Rest Periods - Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles

I found this - eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content … d1e417-1-1

By way of derogation from the first subparagraph, a driver engaged in international transport of goods may, outside the Member State of establishment, take two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods provided that the driver in any four consecutive weeks takes at least four weekly rest periods, of which at least two shall be regular weekly rest periods.

For the purpose of this paragraph, a driver shall be considered to be engaged in international transport where the driver starts the two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods outside the Member State of the employer’s establishment and the country of the drivers’ place of residence.’;

In that case ignore everything I said :slight_smile:

Here’s the UK version on the .gov website.

Section 1.6 = Regulation (EU) 2020/1054 of the European Parliament and of the Council

Unless there’s a change to having back to back weekly rest period, I haven’t checked, assuming the 90 hour rest period crossed two weeks it would count as two back to back regular weekly rest periods, so you’ve had the two required regular weekly rest periods in the 4 weeks.

Thanks Rog & Tachoman that’s cleared it up I think. The 90 hours did indeed cross into two weeks. One more question please - have I also compensated for the first two reduced rests? Total - 24hours?

phatkev21:
Thanks Rog & Tachoman that’s cleared it up I think. The 90 hours did indeed cross into two weeks. One more question please - have I also compensated for the first two reduced rests? Total - 24hours?

Weekly Rest Periods:
28/38/90/36

There’s not really enough information to say for certain, it all depends on which weeks the first 2 reduced weekly rest periods need to be attached to, if the weekly rest periods are attached to the end of each week then the 90 hour back to back regular weekly rest periods are needed to comply with the rule of at-least 2 regular weekly rest periods in 4 weeks.
The 90 hour rest period cannot be used as back to back weekly rest periods and compensation so in that case the answer would be no.

However if the first 2 reduced weekly rest periods are attached to the beginning of each week then the 38 hour rest period would not need to be compensated for.

It’s all about which weeks the rest periods need to be attached to and to know that for certain you would need to trace your weekly rest periods back to a time when you had another rest period of at-least 90 hours.

Thanks again Tachograph, I don’t really know so I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed I suppose. One thing I’ve learnt though - consecutive reduced weekly rests really aren’t worth the hassle!