Tacho time question

Hello,

I am a fairly new pass and currently a Refuse driver and as such we are on domestic hours, I do get 1 day off in the week as a rest day. I just wanted to know if I could legally work this rest day via an agency and do normal EU regulation driving work? or would this conflict with my domestic hours job?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Damian

Justdamo:
Hello,

I am a fairly new pass and currently a Refuse driver and as such we are on domestic hours, I do get 1 day off in the week as a rest day. I just wanted to know if I could legally work this rest day via an agency and do normal EU regulation driving work? or would this conflict with my domestic hours job?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Damian

No weekly rest laws for UK domestic so you can work every day

Once you do EU regs then all those regs apply including weekly rest and time on domestic hours cannot count as rest for EU regs

Justdamo:
I am a fairly new pass and currently a Refuse driver and as such we are on domestic hours, I do get 1 day off in the week as a rest day. I just wanted to know if I could legally work this rest day via an agency and do normal EU regulation driving work? or would this conflict with my domestic hours job

What if any days do you have off at the weekend?

Oh that’s a shame, would have liked to try some agency work. Its so odd because I would have done a day’s work under EU regs and the designated breaks and daily rest times and surly the next day would be a fresh…

We work a 4 day week, not sure why and yes we get weekend’s off.

Actually I should have made that clearer - would that 4 day week make a difference then?

Thanks

If you’re off work every Saturday and Sunday you can drive in scope of EU regulations on your midweek day off every week.

You can also work one weekend day every other week if you want to.

Edit: The weekend work would be subject to you being able to pay the compensation for the reduced weekly rest periods every second week.

If it is on the bins with regular tue to fri shifts like they are here then the OP will have every sat+sun+mon off
Are they your shift days :question:

ROG:
If it is on the bins with regular tue to fri shifts like they are here then the OP will have every sat+sun+mon off
Are they your shift days :question:

Ahh that makes sense, and if he has three consecutive days off it will probably make it easier for him to drive more shifts if he wants to.

We don’t have set days, its always Mon - Fri and lets say you get Mon off the first week, the following week the day off would be moved to Tue, and the following week to Wed etc.

We never work weekends always 4 days between Mon - Fri

So just to be clear, I can put myself on an agency and work that 1 day off in the week?

I am not interested in working any weekends so there’s no issue on that note.

Thanks

Justdamo:
So just to be clear, I can put myself on an agency and work that 1 day off in the week?

Yes you can legally do that every week, but remember you must have at-least 9 hours rest before starting the EU in-scope driving job and at-least 9 hours rest after the EU in-scope driving job.

Edit: Also remember that when driving in-scope of EU regulations you will need to carry with you a record of your hours in your usual job, legally these records can be a log book (if you use one) or records hand written on a printout or chart, although it seems the DVSA will accept records written in a diary or notebook.

You only need to record the start and finish times for your usual job as it’s only so the DVSA can see that you’ve complied with the daily and weekly rest period requirements should you get pulled into a roadside spot check.

brilliant thanks for that.

9hr rest should be fine, I am contracted to 7 -5 on bins but often finish earlier than that and on agency its usually a standard 7 - 5 again.

To maximise your EU regs driving days you can drive on your weekdays off and for 1 day every other weekend so 3 EU regs shifts in every 2 weeks :bulb: