1 full time job, and part time driving job

hi there guys,

im new here and have tried looking for an answer but im struggling to get one.

so i am yet to pass my class 2 but should have by the end of this month, and i have a friend who has a tipper who would like me to do some night work for him. the shift starts at 8 and can sometimes if not most times finish by midnight.

my full time job is as an inhouse tyre fitter at three different depots. i only have to do 37,5 hours a week but i can start the shifts whenever i want as it is really flexible. the only problem i have is they dont count me driving my van to said depots as working time, which i thought was wrong as its technically a mobile job.

my question is, how much driving can i do in the tipper. it wont be an every night thing but i would like to do 2 to 3 shifts a week if i am able to obviously.

also obviously with driving hours there has to be a set time period between my permanent job and driving the tipper, is there a time limit from driving the tipper to my permanent job?

thanks in advance
tallstu

It wouldn’t make a difference if you went straight from work to driving the tipper, or took a sufficient rest period after work beforehand, as long as both jobs were completed within 13 hours of starting whichever came first, although this could be extended to 15 hours three times a week. This is to allow the legally required 11 hours of daily rest, reduced to 9 upto 3 times.
For example, you could start your job at 14:00, work for 8 hours including a break, taking you to midnight, you would then be able to work on the tippers for 5 hours, extended to 7 hours three times a week, so would have to finish by 05:00 or 07:00 respectively.
Also you would need to keep all working times of your normal job in a diary or something similar to keep records of your working time so you could show if pulled that you are complying with WTD rules regarding number of hours worked in a day and also your weekly hours, as this can’t average more than 48 hours after all breaks are deducted

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
It wouldn’t make a difference if you went straight from work to driving the tipper, or took a sufficient rest period after work beforehand, as long as both jobs were completed within 13 hours of starting whichever came first, although this could be extended to 15 hours three times a week. This is to allow the legally required 11 hours of daily rest, reduced to 9 upto 3 times.
For example, you could start your job at 14:00, work for 8 hours including a break, taking you to midnight, you would then be able to work on the tippers for 5 hours, extended to 7 hours three times a week, so would have to finish by 05:00 or 07:00 respectively.
Also you would need to keep all working times of your normal job in a diary or something similar to keep records of your working time so you could show if pulled that you are complying with WTD rules regarding number of hours worked in a day and also your weekly hours, as this can’t average more than 48 hours after all breaks are deducted

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reduced daily rest is 3 times max between weekly rests
WTD is different for each of those jobs and do not get added together
The time spent on the tyre fitter job is other work for the tacho regs

Thank you for the reply guys,

ROG, im a bit confused on the WTD not being added together, how does that work exactly?

sorry for the dumb questions i just want to make sure im not breaking any rules and such. just wanna earn some extra money while also keeping a stable first job haha

Tallstu512:
Thank you for the reply guys,

ROG, im a bit confused on the WTD not being added together, how does that work exactly?

sorry for the dumb questions i just want to make sure im not breaking any rules and such. just wanna earn some extra money while also keeping a stable first job haha

Non driving job = normal/general WTD
Driving job = WTD/RTD

We looked into this on here some time ago and the 2 did not get added together

Cheers rog,

so my first job i do is 37.5 hours, but to be honest i rarely ever do the full hours as not enough work. i drive to three different depots, 2 are 40mins from my house and the other is 30mins, M1 dependent. im then suppose to do 7.5 hours at my depot with 30mins break, as my company doesn’t use my driving time as when i start work. i probably only do between 5 and 6 hours at the depot.

the tipper job is 730 pm start and should be finished by 1 am. but apparently i will only be doing about 1 and half hours driving. im going to get more info on the tipper job this week to understand how long i will actually be working for.

my question is, how many shifts could i do in a week for the tipper without getting in trouble?

also my first job is very flexible with when i can start the work, as long as my hours are done lol

many thanks for your replys

Tallstu512:
my question is, how many shifts could i do in a week for the tipper without getting in trouble?

You need to comply with the daily and weekly rest periods so as many shifts as will fit into those rests