45min break
1.5hr drive
Arrive at port.
30min break
10min ferry shunt
2hr30min break
4.5hr drive
9hr break.

Can i add up the 30min break and the 2hr30min break before and after the ferry shunt to make 3hrs and add it to my 9hr daily rest to make it a regular daily rest?

Or is it the case that because i shunt onto the boat in the middle of my 3hrs rest that my 9hrs will only count as a reduced daily rest?

Id be interested in what you lot think?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

kitbuilder123:
So im looking for opinion on the following example of a days work

Start at 06.20, 10min other work
4hr drive
45min break
1.5hr drive
Arrive at port.
30min break
10min ferry shunt
2hr30min break
4.5hr drive
9hr break.

Can i add up the 30min break and the 2hr30min break before and after the ferry shunt to make 3hrs and add it to my 9hr daily rest to make it a regular daily rest?

Or is it the case that because i shunt onto the boat in the middle of my 3hrs rest that my 9hrs will only count as a reduced daily rest?

Id be interested in what you lot think?

Basically you seem to be asking if you can interrupt the 3 hour rest period which is part of a split daily rest period, the answer is yes you can interrupt the 3 hour rest period to drive onto or off a ferry.

When having a split daily rest period either or both of the rest periods can be interrupted to drive on or off a ferry.
The usual rules apply, no more than a total of two interruptions lasting no more than 1 hour in total.

I seem to remember reading that the driving time on and/or off the ferry will be added to your weekly driving time but not your daily driving time, personally I would try not to go over the 10 hours driving time including the ferry shunt, but maybe that’s just me :wink:

I should have added that the scenario you’ve posted would not count as a reduced daily rest period :smiley:

Thanks very much for the reply. Thats the way i understand it to be as well.

Are you aware of any rule thats says the time spent for the interruption has to be paid back?

What i mean is if i interrupt a regular daily rest of 11 hours to shunt on and off a boat, with the 2 movements taking 30 minutes combined, does my daily rest then need to be 11hrs 30minutes?

The length of the interruption does not count as part of the daily rest period.
So whatever the length of the rest period, 3, 9 or 11 hours, the length of the interruption must be added onto the length of the rest period.

For instance if an 11 hour regular daily rest period is interrupted for 30 minutes while you board a ferry the time from the start of the rest period to the end of the rest period would need to be 11 hours 30 minutes.

Remember also that the whole rest period must be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.

Access to a bed for it to be rest not break?

Perfect, thanks for the replies