Load security

Hi folks,

I have an upcoming job for a mate. I need to collect some bus parts in a rigid truck from up Scotland. The issue is, they’re all unpalletised and loose items, like seats, exhausts parts etc.

How would one go about “securing” loose items? I’ve never done class 2 work before and was only taughts how to deal with pallets and cages through CPC and training.

Thanks all for tips.

J.

I would say depends on your wagon how youd secure it, curtain sider or highside open bed? Id personally get what i can on pallets just for ease of removal on the otherside and take plenty of shrinkwrap. If theres anything sturdy could strap down do it but im assuming this job sounds like a big game of tetras and “■■■■ it and see” comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Defcom69:
I would say depends on your wagon how youd secure it, curtain sider or highside open bed? Id personally get what i can on pallets just for ease of removal on the otherside and take plenty of shrinkwrap. If theres anything sturdy could strap down do it but im assuming this job sounds like a big game of tetras and “■■■■ it and see” comes to mind.

Hi pal, I haven’t hired a vehicle yet. I just know from the pictures it’s a bigger job than a standard car licence van.

I’m not sure if he’s got a forklift or pallets in his yard for pallets, I’d have to ask. However there is a lot of heavy items of different materials and shapes that can’t touch things like seats. And the seats are big, so would be hard to pallet them.

Id ask the friend for more specifics, i.e combined weight make sure youre getting the right vehicle for job and if theres lots of bits, although it sounds stupid, pallets still, even if there isnt forks on other side for removal. Arguements sake youve got exhaust systems and chairs, you can stack a few chairs interlocked into each other on the pallet and shrink wrap them to eachother and pallet. Run a ratchet over and jobs a good’n. Exhaust pipes and what not, 2 pallets, either end of your pipes, shrink wrap the ends to keep them all together and a light strap over them across the bed theyll stay there forever and a day.

Used to work for a builder merchants and the amount of “bitty” loads id get on an 18 ton hiab would be ridiculous. Love a pallet now, would load it all onto a pallet (as much as possible) shrink wrap the hell out of it and sling it off the other side, ive handballed it once, I didnt get into this game to do it twice lol
Even if he hasnt got forks other side, pallets will still go a long way into helping you secure the load.

Defcom69:
Id ask the friend for more specifics, i.e combined weight make sure youre getting the right vehicle for job and if theres lots of bits, although it sounds stupid, pallets still, even if there isnt forks on other side for removal. Arguements sake youve got exhaust systems and chairs, you can stack a few chairs interlocked into each other on the pallet and shrink wrap them to eachother and pallet. Run a ratchet over and jobs a good’n. Exhaust pipes and what not, 2 pallets, either end of your pipes, shrink wrap the ends to keep them all together and a light strap over them across the bed theyll stay there forever and a day.

Used to work for a builder merchants and the amount of “bitty” loads id get on an 18 ton hiab would be ridiculous. Love a pallet now, would load it all onto a pallet (as much as possible) shrink wrap the hell out of it and sling it off the other side, ive handballed it once, I didnt get into this game to do it twice lol
Even if he hasnt got forks other side, pallets will still go a long way into helping you secure the load.

Great, thanks for the tips, worst case can just palletise inside the truck itself pass items up once at a time then shrink wrap in situ.

Cheers.

Have you considered a tipper truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also you could stack it as neat as possible then throw a cargo net over it and a few straps over that…