Question regarding paying time back after a reduced rest

Asking for a friend. If he reduces his weekly rest down to 24hrs am I correct in telling him he has to repay this reduction by the end of the 3rd week? Also is it his decision when to repay the rest or can his company tell him when to?,

Felixstoweflyer:
Asking for a friend. If he reduces his weekly rest down to 24hrs am I correct in telling him he has to repay this reduction by the end of the 3rd week? Also is it his decision when to repay the rest or can his company tell him when to?,

End of the third week, but has he reduced to 24 hours? That would mean, say, finishing at 5pm, and starting again at 5pm the next day. More common is to take a day off and start at the same time, thus meaning perhaps the rest was 40 hours or something. In this case, all that needs to be paid back is 5 hours. It is a joint responsibility and a driver sometimes does need to remind the office about things like this.

Week 1
24 hours rest (21 hours to payback by week 3)

Week 2
45 hours rest (plus any extra you can squeeze in to compensate for Week 1)
Eg: 6pm finish on Friday - 6am start Monday = 60 hours rest (6 hours to payback by Week 3)

Week 3
45 hours rest plus 6 hours = clock reset.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys. He really wants to know if work can tell him when to payback hours. He wanted to start at 1000hrs Monday having cleared what he owed but boss said no he had to start 0400 or loose a days pay! And no not about football he cannot stand it

If a weekly rest is less than 45 it does not become a 24 - it becomes what ever the time off is such as anything between 24 and 45
43 off = 2 to pay back for example

The payback generally isn’t as bad as it sounds. A reduced weekly rest is normally well in excess of 24 (but less than 45). A regular weekly rest is normally well in excess of 45. You pay back without even doing anything out of the ordinary.

With all due respect to lizard, the rest needs to be paid back in one block:

“A reduced weekly rest period
A reduced weekly rest is a rest period of at least 24 but less than 45 continuous hours. It must be compensated for by an equivalent period of rest taken in one block before the end of the third week following the week in question. The compensating rest must be attached to a period of rest of at least 9 hours – in effect either a weekly or a daily rest period.”

The above lifted straight from the government guidance:
Drivers hours

Noremac:
The payback generally isn’t as bad as it sounds. A reduced weekly rest is normally well in excess of 24 (but less than 45). A regular weekly rest is normally well in excess of 45. You pay back without even doing anything out of the ordinary.

With all due respect to lizard, the rest needs to be paid back in one block:

“A reduced weekly rest period
A reduced weekly rest is a rest period of at least 24 but less than 45 continuous hours. It must be compensated for by an equivalent period of rest taken in one block before the end of the third week following the week in question. The compensating rest must be attached to a period of rest of at least 9 hours – in effect either a weekly or a daily rest period.”

The above lifted straight from the government guidance:
Drivers hours

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Can’t actually remember the last time I did a reduced. It’s been years.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk