Need help with wtd/driving hours

Hi,

Am new to driving hgvs, have drove Lutons for ten years and have had two days work in class twos up to now. Unfortunately I have got two infringements on working hours which has really worried me as I passed my test so well yet am struggling to get my head around working hours and drivers hours breaks. Both days my two infringements are on the same issue - working time directive - work period exceeded. So somewhere I have got some form of understanding or thought process drastically wrong, and hopefully somebody can put me right on the forum. I have uploaded my tacho print out. My infringement says:

Period Start: 06:58 06-07-2021
Period End: 14:13 06-07-2021
Period Length: 07:15
Period Allowed: 06:00
Worked longer than 6 hours straight

I don’t get it though.

My way of thinking is you have a 10-15 minute cross hammers for showing vehicle check in morning. My vehicle was loaded at 06.35, where I put it on break and left the vehicle. This was for 23 minutes. So I assumed this would extend my 6 hours working time to 6-9 hours. So from the end of my break (06:58) until my next one (14:13), that’s 7 hours 55 minutes if my maths is correct, but before 9 hours work…?

I broke down in that vehicle that day, so put it on break for 42 minutes until somebody came out.

Just confused beyond belief as I don’t understand where I’ve gone wrong, particularly considering my driving hours were only four.

Hope somebody can put me on track.

The way I’ve read the rules is:

A 15 minute break up to 6 hours
A 30 minute break over 6/under 9
A 45 minute break over 12

If having a 15 minute break before the 6th hour of work, you can have the other 15 minute break after the 6th hour which take me to between 6 and 9, the desired 30 minute break…?

The rule is that at any point in the shift the working time cannot exceed 6 hours without a break of at least 15 mins
You did almost 8 hours without a break

Now we look at the total working time in a shift where you have 2 choices so choose 1 or 2 but not both

Working time in shift is between 6 and 9 hours = total of 30 mins break which can be 15+15 or 30
OR
Working time in shift is over 9 hours = total of 45 mins break which can be 15+15+15 or 30+15 or 15+30 or 45

Remember that the driving time breaks rules take preference and breaks can count for both at the same time

ROG:
The rule is that at any point in the shift the working time cannot exceed 6 hours without a break of at least 15 mins
You did almost 8 hours without a break

Now we look at the total working time in a shift where you have 2 choices so choose 1 or 2 but not both

Working time in shift is between 6 and 9 hours = total of 30 mins break which can be 15+15 or 30
OR
Working time in shift is over 9 hours = total of 45 mins break which can be 15+15+15 or 30+15 or 15+30 or 45

Remember that the driving time breaks rules take preference and breaks can count for both at the same time

Thanks,

Trouble is though I can’t see where I went wrong?

I was on break for 23 minutes in the morning and 33 minutes in the afternoon…

tarantula_123:
Thanks,

You were working from 0658 to 1413 without a break. In order to stay legal for Working Time purposes you should have taken a break of at least 15 minutes beginning no later than 1257.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

tarantula_123:

Another way to think about it is that whenever you finish a break, another six hours begins.

Noremac:
Another way to think about it is that whenever you finish a break, another six hours begins.

That works in the same way the tacho regs work for driving time breaks
Every time you do a 45 break the 4.5 max driving time resets