Driving Without Digicard

Hi all,

Hopefully someone here can put my mind at rest on this, as I’ve heard some right horror stories and I’m a little concerned now to say the least.

Right, here we go.

Sunday just gone, 5th Jan, I put my digicard into my unit to begin my day. I did my checks and fuelled up.

When I went to restart the truck, the key snapped off in the barrel and, no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the ignition back on.

So my card is now stuck in a truck I can’t use.

Under the instruction of my agency, and the transport manager, I were told to take another truck, and drive without a card. Many drivers have done it apparently, without a cause for concern.

I did a truck printout before AND at the end of my shift from the truck I used, and my digicard was returned to me on the same day, after my 11 hour shift, as they had a mechanic in to sort out the key problem, and to retrieve my card.

It was only when I got back were I told I’d be getting an infringement for driving without a card.

I’ve used the card since, but didn’t add manual entries, as I accidently hit “No” when asked if I wanted to add any.

What can I expect to come of this? Should I have contacted anyone?

I’ve never had an infringement yet, so I don’t really know what the deal is.

I didn’t think I’d be able to contact DVLA on a Sunday.

Have I broken laws or am I in trouble?

I’m worried sick about losing my license.

Help me out guys please.

Much gratitude on any advice you can give.

Mark.

In the circumstances you’ve described you was legally able to drive the replacement vehicle by doing vehicle printouts before and after the use of the vehicle.

Never contact the DVSA to inform them you’ve done something wrong, as it happens in this case you hadn’t done anything wrong but why would you want to tell them if you had :confused:

As you did printouts before and after the shift and signed them I don’t believe you should have got an infringement, however if you just want a quiet life sign it and forget it, it’s not a big deal.

edit: Keep the printouts with you for 28 days in case you get pulled into a DVSA checkpoint.

Also write one or both of the printouts the reason why you wasn’t able to use your driver card.

You will get infringements for not taking brakes etc due to card being stuck in the truck. But I wouldn’t worry too much. You have your printouts and a defect code for the issue I’m sure.

I think you can add the manual entries for any previous day you like at anytime, I might be wrong. If I am I’m sure someone will correct me [emoji16]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Guys thank you. Saved me a lot of worry. Appreciated so so much.

oldwelshdude:
I think you can add the manual entries for any previous day you like at anytime, I might be wrong. If I am I’m sure someone will correct me [emoji16]

You can only do a manual entry when you insert your driver card, the manual entry can only be for the time since the card was last ejected.

@ oldwelshdude

Don’t worry about the manual entry you never did, you didn’t need to do a manual entry for the time you was driving without a card because you’ve got the vehicle printouts.

The time between vehicles can be written on the first printout if necessary.

Sent from my mobile.

Thanks for clarifying tachograph
I use a tacho daily but you doubt yourself at times [emoji23]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

You can only drive on printouts if you card is lost, stolen or malfunctioning. Once you drive on printouts you can’t find the card and start using it again,

To me you either shouldn’t of driven on printouts or if you did, you should have applied for a new card and carried on driving on printouts until the new card arrived and disposed of the old card