Working hours question

I work in the entertainment industry And am required to drive a class 2 rigid as part of my job. The company I work for use the lorry to transport musical instruments and equipment to concerts. Day to day the lorry will travel a couple of miles to and from a rehearsal space with just a few minutes driven, however about once a week we travel to another city about two hours away for a concert. I’ll describe the working day and I’d like to know if it’s legal or not as I have my doubts. Management appear to be clueless about tachometer law and WTD and don’t keep records of my hours either.

Start work at about 9.00am after checks begin driving
Around 11.00am arrive at the venue and park up, we go to other work and unload the truck, set up the concert and work through the rehearsal and performance and load out until about midnight.
Drive back to base arriving around 2.00am

Writing it down it just looks all wrong, but I would like to be sure of my legal ground before I bring my fears to management.

You are under full EU and driver WTD regs as well as driver CPC

As the vehicle is over 7.5 tonnes GVW then I cannot see an exemption - unless I missed something :question:

9am on day 1 to 2am on day 2 is a 17 hour shift so totally illegal

Crosstown traffic:
I work in the entertainment industry And am required to drive a class 2 rigid as part of my job. The company I work for use the lorry to transport musical instruments and equipment to concerts. Day to day the lorry will travel a couple of miles to and from a rehearsal space with just a few minutes driven, however about once a week we travel to another city about two hours away for a concert. I’ll describe the working day and I’d like to know if it’s legal or not as I have my doubts. Management appear to be clueless about tachometer law and WTD and don’t keep records of my hours either.

Around 11.00am arrive at the venue and park up, we go to other work and unload the truck, set up the concert and work through the rehearsal and performance and load out until about midnight.

Writing it down it just looks all wrong, but I would like to be sure of my legal ground before I bring my fears to management.

You say the company “don’t keep records of my hours”, assuming they download your driver card they probably do keep a record of your hours

As far as the concert is concerned, you cannot legally work a 17 hour shift under EU regulations unless you’re multi-manning.

I assume there’s not another driver with you when you’re driving to and from the concert ?

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:

You say the company “don’t keep records of my hours”, assuming they download your driver card they probably do keep a record of your hours

As far as the concert is concerned, you cannot legally work a 17 hour shift under EU regulations unless you’re multi-manning.

I assume there’s not another driver with you when you’re driving to and from the concert ?

It’s an analogue tach and no, they didn’t know about keeping records until I mentioned it.
Just one driver at the moment, but even with another driver who had worked from 9.00am too wouldn’t he be over hours?

ROG:
You are under full EU and driver WTD regs as well as driver CPC

As the vehicle is over 7.5 tonnes GVW then I cannot see an exemption - unless I missed something :question:

9am on day 1 to 2am on day 2 is a 17 hour shift so totally illegal

Thanks.
I think I’ll phone my union in the morning.

Crosstown traffic:
Just one driver at the moment, but even with another driver who had worked from 9.00am too wouldn’t he be over hours?

As long as you have the appropriate breaks you can do a 21 hour shift when multi-manning, the driving hours and breaks remain the same as for a single manned journey but the daily rest requirement for multi-manning is that you must have no less than a 9 hour rest period 9reduced daily rest period) completed within the period of 30 hours from the start of the shift, both drivers would need to start within an hour of each other.

Crosstown traffic:

Why not have a word with your boss and point out that what they want you to do is illegal :confused:

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:

Why not have a word with your boss and point out that what they want you to do is illegal :confused:

In my experience running things past the legal department of my union first adds weight to any quiet word with the boss. Not to mention giving me a bit of added confidence. I wouldn’t be starting a strike or anything just getting my ducks in a row.

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:

As long as you have the appropriate breaks you can do a 21 hour shift when multi-manning, the driving hours and breaks remain the same as for a single manned journey but the daily rest requirement for multi-manning is that you must have no less than a 9 hour rest period 9reduced daily rest period) completed within the period of 30 hours from the start of the shift, both drivers would need to start within an hour of each other.

Not having operated with two drivers that looks really complicated. Would the second driver be allowed to work on the load in, performance and load out or would he be on break?

I’m sorry if these are silly questions but I’ve not had cause to get anywhere near maximum working hours before.

Crosstown traffic:

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:

Not having operated with two drivers that looks really complicated. Would the second driver be allowed to work on the load in, performance and load out or would he be on break?

I’m sorry if these are silly questions but I’ve not had cause to get anywhere near maximum working hours before.

Not as complicated as it may look, plenty of companies run with 2 drivers on runs that cannot legally be finished within the hours of single manned journeys.

As long as both drivers have the required breaks there’s nothing to stop both drivers working on the loading/unloading ec’t.

I take it your job could not be organised in such a way that you could have 9 hours rest between driving to and from the concert ?

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:

Not as complicated as it may look, plenty of companies run with 2 drivers on runs that cannot legally be finished within the hours of single manned journeys.

As long as both drivers have the required breaks there’s nothing to stop both drivers working on the loading/unloading ec’t.

I take it your job could not be organised in such a way that you could have 9 hours rest between driving to and from the concert ?

Apart from leaving the tachometer on rest the whole day then not really. We are very busy during the day as we are the technicians too, we have to ■■■■■■ our breaks where we can.